• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to package submission: do the sleeves/boards matter?

11 posts in this topic

I am looking to submit comics for grading for the first time, and I am nervous about the packaging / mailing process, and I would like some advice.

I would just use the CGC submission kit, but they are on backorder. I saw CGC's youtube video that explains how to submit yourself using cardboard, painters tape, bubble wrap, and a USPS medium flat rate box (side-loading, 13 5/8″ x 11 7/8″ x 3 3/8″). My plan is to go that route since it seems to be the CGC recommended alternative to their kits.

However, I have a few questions that I am hoping the community can help me with:

1. Do the sleeves / backing boards matter? I bought silver age sleeves (ultra-pro) and boards (vintage) because I thought the modern age sleeves and boards were too small and wouldn't protect the corners well enough. However, since the books will be taped to a slab of cardboard, the cardboard will be protecting the book from damage to the edges if the corners of the shipping box get bashed in. Therefore, the primary risk to the comic appears to be sliding around inside the sleeve. So, I am wondering whether a modern age sleeve would actually be better for that? Or, I understand people usually use multiple boards inside the sleeve. Will that prevent the book from sliding around inside the sleeve during shipping?

2. I have about 10-15 books that I want to submit for grading. Does anyone know for sure if that many comics will fit in that box along with all the other packaging material you need? On the youtube video, they only pack 6 comics in the box and it looks like there's room left over for more, but it's hard to tell.

3. I have some books that I would like to expedite and others not. Can you submit some expedited and not expedited in the same shipment, or do I need to split those up into two different shipments?

THANKS!!!!

I dont use any tape of any kind...ever.

I dont want someone at CGC getting frustrated while opening my package or snagging my comic on the tape as its being removed from the bag.

I put the comic in a Ultra Pro bag with a few extra boards...NO TAPE

I then put the comic in a gemini mailer...NO TAPE

I wrap the gemini mailer in bubble wrap...NO TAPE

I put the bubble wrapped gemini mailer into a USPS box and seal it...NO TAPE

:banana:

On 4/28/2022 at 12:21 PM, lostboys said:

I dont want someone at CGC getting frustrated while opening my package or snagging my comic on the tape as its being removed from the bag.

I then put the comic in a gemini mailer...NO TAPE

I wrap the gemini mailer in bubble wrap...NO TAPE

I put the bubble wrapped gemini mailer into a USPS box and seal it...NO TAPE

:banana:

This is the way.

I don't use gemini mailers so I'll create cardboard sandwiches and use painters tape to tape the bag/boards to the middle so they don't slide around.  I keep about 3/4" - 1" border on the cardboard sandwich to absorb any corner impacts.  Sandwich is wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a box.  The corner of the boxes are filled with either packaging foam or the extra foam I've accumulated from my DCBS subscriptions.  Everything goes in the USPS Priority Box.  I give the box a light shake.  If I can hear movement, then I apply more bubble wrap and/or foam.  I basically want a nice somewhat tight fit.

If a Priority Box is too small, go to Office Depot/Staples and find a box that fits your needs.  Maybe even consider having an inner layer with two Priority Boxes inside the bigger outer box applying bubble wrap/foam between layers.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:40 PM, ExNihilo said:

This is the way.

I don't use gemini mailers so I'll create cardboard sandwiches and use painters tape to tape the bag/boards to the middle so they don't slide around.  I keep about 3/4" - 1" border on the cardboard sandwich to absorb any corner impacts.  Sandwich is wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in a box.  The corner of the boxes are filled with either packaging foam or the extra foam I've accumulated from my DCBS subscriptions.  Everything goes in the USPS Priority Box.  I give the box a light shake.  If I can hear movement, then I apply more bubble wrap and/or foam.  I basically want a nice somewhat tight fit.

If a Priority Box is too small, go to Office Depot/Staples and find a box that fits your needs.  Maybe even consider having an inner layer with two Priority Boxes inside the bigger outer box applying bubble wrap/foam between layers.

I have a ton of gemini maiers in the basement from years of buying raws on Ebay.

On 4/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, lostboys said:

Good point about the tape. I hate it when people think by putting all this tape on something they're making it super protected. All they're doing is increasing the risk that I will damage it when I try to open it!!!

Do you use Silver Age bags or Modern Age bags for Modern Age comics, or do you think it doesn't make a difference? My concern is with just one board, the comics do slide around inside the bag.

I will try adding additional boards and seeing what effect that has.

On 4/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, Kronius said:

Good point about the tape. I hate it when people think by putting all this tape on something they're making it super protected. All they're doing is increasing the risk that I will damage it when I try to open it!!!

Do you use Silver Age bags or Modern Age bags for Modern Age comics, or do you think it doesn't make a difference? My concern is with just one board, the comics do slide around inside the bag.

I will try adding additional boards and seeing what effect that has.

I use modern bags/boards but most of my collection is modern. 

As long as the book slides in and out easily.

I keep a small supply of silver bags/boards.

If I have to use any force to get a book into a modern bag, Ill use silver.

On 4/28/2022 at 1:54 PM, lostboys said:

I got a shipment from an Ebay seller today...10 books.

They were wrapped in tons of saran wrap and heavy duty packing tape.

:ohnoez:

The heavy duty/shipping tape kills me.  Completely ruins the bag it's in and means I have to use an exacto-knife to remove the book.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:51 AM, Pitboss said:

I think CGC uses some type of letter opener tool for the bags. They returned my pedigree certs in one of my bags and the tape is still there with the flap dangling. 2c

It's not really comforting to think that the first thing CGC uses on your valuable submission is a knife or other sharp-edged tool.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:31 AM, Axe Elf said:

It's not really comforting to think that the first thing CGC uses on your valuable submission is a knife or other sharp-edged tool.

"Why did my book come back with a purple label?  Trim?"

In all seriousness, i'll take my chances with a knife over the fear of tape or sticky residue left behind from some other persons submission.