• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1950s GI Comics

5 posts in this topic

There is definitely a market for pre-code war.  I'm personally not a big fan of the 4-panel covers used with the Combat Kelly title, but the uniqueness of the layout is appreciated by some collectors.  One of the strong points of this genre is the paucity of CGC-certified copies, particularly in grades higher than 6.0 FN.  For example, there are only 108 CGC-certified specimens for the entire 44-issue Combat Kelly title run, and only 36 of those specimens have CGC grades higher than 6.0 FN.  Be careful though: if you decide to put together an "issues with Reds on the cover" typeset, you're going to need a lot of space.  :grin:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am not sure if this copy will hit that 6.0 threshold, but I will probably get it graded. 

It does look like an anti-Reds run would blow my budget. So would flamethrowers. If you believe that the only good commie is a dead commie, then these books spread a lot of positive vibes.

There really isn't much point to getting it graded. Put it in a mylar and enjoy it.  I love the Combat Casey covers, and accidently bought a large run of Combat Kelly, not realizing it was a different title, and had those four way covers. 

Edited by shadroch