• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth getting graded??
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I have FF #4 and Strange Tales #89, both in similar shape. Pieces missing from cover and all around worn out, but are 100% complete and I think are still presentable! Could they be 2.0s?? Or would I be looking at 1.8 and lower??

AD1D26F4-3645-4DD5-815E-7483846E0DD3.jpeg

17A72E5F-541B-46FC-92EF-BD435435AED3.jpeg

Edited by GMcGurty

Hi! Neat books! A lot to unpack here,

First, it would be helpful to see full front *and back* pics of each book, and check for any interior defects and note those as well (missing or detached pages, coupons cut, etc). From what I can see, I'd feel safer calling them 1.5-1.8 than 2.0.

Second, are you looking to sell the books and wondering if slabs will increase their value? (Personally I rarely slab books unless I intend to sell them.) I see recent Heritage sales of ST 89 CGC 2.5 $1080 and FF 4 raw 1.5 $2040, so yes, they're probably worth getting graded to sell if you have the time and money.

Cheers!
Jon

Jon, the interiors are complete with no cut outs. The centerfold is detached on the Strange Tales. The backs are similar shape as the fronts. I consider them both to be 1.8s. I’ve listed the ST on EBay at that grade. I promised the person who gave me FF #4 I’d never sell it and I’ve kept that promise for over 40 yrs now! ( if I were to sell it as is, I think I’d say it’s a 1.5 though) 
 I like encapsulating for preservation reasons + the boosted sale price.  Next time I send an order into CGC, they’ll probably go!