• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM WildCats #1 Gold Foil variant edition (let's hear it for raffle wins edition!)
3 3

6 posts in this topic

So a bit of a story on this one. Let's go back to 1992. I'm 15, comic stores are doing just amazing business all over Canada, people are buying up multiple versions of the same book (sound familiar)... and this store I went to rarely - not my usual store - has a raffle to win a gold variant edition for every comic you buy. I literally buy one comic, fill out my ticket, and then find out I won. I was really happy, though I wasn't really an Image guy - this might be the only Image comic I actually own (I know there are its fans, no disrespect intended), but winning is cool. Then I get the book, and blerg - big dent/crease on the front cover, and it to runs through the book - I'm not sure you can see it on the scan but there's a smaller dent on the back. And then to add insult to injury, there's a small tear on second last page. The back cover aside from the crease in the bottom right (about an inch) is actually clean, it doesn't scan well. Even at 15 I was pretty pissed but I'd won a free book, I can't really complain about it - but it did confirm my decision to not do much shopping there. What I should have done is immediately turned around and sold it, but c'est la vie. I'm really not even sure an embossed book like this can be pressed open to suggestions on that too. But thanks to another poster (AceHoward) on this board who also has this book, I see there's a jim lee signing and that might be my way to make a profit on this book (even though it was free!) Trading cards are intact. But then again, it might not be worth it. 

wildcats1-fc.thumb.png.0ff962c3a0e70f8c48b7ccae8e2344cb.png

above - see dent on bottom left 

IMG_20220516_183731_967.thumb.jpg.abe64a76e7089879b909b7b983a90924.jpg

wildcats1-bc.thumb.png.5d9986419db20be0d352f53d8a6019c8.png

IMG_20220516_183743_134.thumb.jpg.ba6cc93fc4d351c840ad2621746e8ea1.jpg

IMG_20220516_185111_082.thumb.jpg.6b20d6fad1462a5b492dff85a6d1efb1.jpg

example of dent midway through page 

IMG_20220516_183809_720.jpg

Edited by Geoff2099

Awesome to see another gold foil Wildcats!  If only we could combine the best part of both our books we would be in good shape. With the embossing, foil, and cards this is a difficult one to press.  I have had some luck with my copy, but a full heat press would be nice. For me, I am getting my copy signed and slabbed to display in my personal collection. So while I’d like a nice I grade it isn’t important for resale value.  Hopefully you can pull a high enough grade to make a decent profit. 

On 5/17/2022 at 8:18 PM, AceHazard said:

Awesome to see another gold foil Wildcats!  If only we could combine the best part of both our books we would be in good shape. With the embossing, foil, and cards this is a difficult one to press.  I have had some luck with my copy, but a full heat press would be nice. For me, I am getting my copy signed and slabbed to display in my personal collection. So while I’d like a nice I grade it isn’t important for resale value.  Hopefully you can pull a high enough grade to make a decent profit. 

Yeah I kind of think so too. In doing the math it seems unlikely I'd even break even. What I might do is just hold onto it and then if Jim lee comes to Toronto again I'll get it signed there as I have to hope (?) it's cheaper. Maybe I'll just sell it as is, that's probably best. 

Hard to grade with the pics, foil and glare. Wanna say 7.0-ish. I liked your story to go along with the book. Thanks for posting.