• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 1 question

4 posts in this topic

Hi CGC,

I bought a (horribly faded) Avengers 1 CGC universal 2.0 off of ebay a couple months ago (1st picture).

When it came the case was cracked so I knew I'd be sending it in for a reholder.

With the fading I knew it probably couldn't grade higher than a 2.0, but it also had quite a few press-able wrinkles so I decided to have it pressed.

I got it back recently and now it's in a Purple holder with a "Trimmed" bottom edge (2nd pic)

As you can imagine, I'm a little disappointed.

I know once I take it out of the inner well it gets completely regraded, but I'm the only person who touched it...... I pressed it.... I didn't trim it.  There would be no reason to trim a faded book that looks like this (some might argue there's no reason to press it either, but it actually looked a little better after the press).

I guess...... the lesson is..... 1) CGC misses trimming from time to time? 2) Never remove a comic from the inner well. 

I don't suppose anything can be done about this to get it back to a Blue label?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.  I am sorry about that.  Yes, sometimes on rare occasions, the graders could miss something.  It doesn't happen very often since the book goes through more than one grader during the grading process.  Unfortunately, it looks like in this case the graders did miss that the book was originally trimmed.  Trimming is one defect that cannot be fixed or corrected so once it is determined that a book is trimmed and given a restored label, it would not be able to receive a Universal label. 

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.  Thank you!

On 5/18/2022 at 9:16 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.  I am sorry about that.  Yes, sometimes on rare occasions, the graders could miss something.  It doesn't happen very often since the book goes through more than one grader during the grading process.  Unfortunately, it looks like in this case the graders did miss that the book was originally trimmed.  Trimming is one defect that cannot be fixed or corrected so once it is determined that a book is trimmed and given a restored label, it would not be able to receive a Universal label. 

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.  Thank you!

Yup, I paid for a CGC Blue label book.  Now the same CGC book is a trimmed book.  I'd call that an inconvenience.  

I seem to remember a JIM 83 (7.0?) that had the same thing happen to it a few years ago.  Only that one was high grade.  In that instance I believe you made it a Blue label again.

Edited by gadzukes