• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Aquaman DCEU #1 all-time thread
2 2

34 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2022 at 12:50 AM, ChillMan said:

If the 'Wonder Woman all the time' thread can be on the front page since 2007....

I mean I feel like Red Buttons....And Aquaman never got a dinner or a thread !!!

The media says WW is awesome.  But they lie.  She is great.  But she's nowhere near Aquaman's popularity.

Hhhhmmmm I think Wonder Woman is better known. 

On 5/20/2022 at 2:25 PM, sagii said:

Not taking a side, but (sea)food for thought here:

You would most likely never see the kind of knocks directed at  Aquaman leveled at  Namor and they are more or less the "same" (using loosely) character of their respected universes (King of an undersea empire, half Atlantean,  half human, etc)

That said, Aquaman is the more high profile name of the two outside of the 'comic knowledgeable' in crowd and has been for decades. Poll non comic readers you will get more who have heard of Aquaman than Namor (as it stand now). Whether you heard of him by joke, have some vague memories of him riding shotgun in the invisible jet, remember a mego toy, tee shirt image, whatever. 

Folks are clamoring for a Namor MCU introduction to introduce him to the masses. Aquaman has been there and done that. 

Say what you will, he's no DC big 3, or Marvel legend, but he's carved out his own respectable place in the pop culture. 

Not saying any of this makes More Fun 73 a top 10 ga book. But just saying...

:fear:

*had to edit this (: phone posting sucks 

All this, except…. I’m happy to level those same knocks at Namor, where they are more legitimately placed anyway. (thumbsu Ironically, the main reason Namor doesn’t get knocked is he doesn’t talk to fish.

In fairness, early Namor is the original anti-hero, waaay before the edgy bad@ss heyday brought on by Punisher and Wolverine saturation. But since the early silver age, when he played that foil to the Avengers and FF, he has mostly devolved into a pompous gasbag. I said this in another thread — my favorite post-silver Namor story is Avengers 155. Subby runs his mouth and Wonder Man pulps him in three blows. He desperately needs a writer with a plan. He has had nothing like Peter David’s Aquaman run.

On the other hand, while Aquaman has topped the low bar of DC movies, it wasn’t terribly special either. You could swap out its cast and setting with Black Panther; basically same story.

I do think MF73 is an underrated cool GA key but I’m hardly on the ShillMan bandwagon either. But I kinda like Aquaman having a cheerleader; he needs it. Namor is kind of tiresome as the proud prince who is always ready to tell someone how not scared of them he is. We already had Hercules for that, and he’s more amusing as a semi-comical character. Namor hasn’t been interesting and textured since Stan was writing him — not because no one else could do it, but because no one else used him so well in that anti-hero, could be friend or foe way. 
Aquaman has had a lot more development as a character, from the loss of his son to reluctant leader of the last incarnation of the original JLA to Peter David’s run. Namor’s whole shtick for 30 years has been roll him out when you need an angry guy to start a slugfest.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:16 PM, batman_fan said:

I remember watching it as a kid and I have to say of all the times me and my friends played "superheroes" I cannot recall a single time someone want to be Aquaman

Alas, you played with the wrong friends!

(Finally, after all these years, this is the day!  The day I got to use that word that I had never used before.

I am aghast that I finally got the opportunity.

Oh wait, now that’s TWO words I had never used before.  Oh what a day, what a day!!!) :whatthe:

Edited by MusterMark

On 5/21/2022 at 11:17 PM, Readcomix said:

All this, except…. I’m happy to level those same knocks at Namor, where they are more legitimately placed anyway. (thumbsu Ironically, the main reason Namor doesn’t get knocked is he doesn’t talk to fish.

In fairness, early Namor is the original anti-hero, waaay before the edgy bad@ss heyday brought on by Punisher and Wolverine saturation. But since the early silver age, when he played that foil to the Avengers and FF, he has mostly devolved into a pompous gasbag. I said this in another thread — my favorite post-silver Namor story is Avengers 155. Subby runs his mouth and Wonder Man pulps him in three blows. He desperately needs a writer with a plan. He has had nothing like Peter David’s Aquaman run.

On the other hand, while Aquaman has topped the low bar of DC movies, it wasn’t terribly special either. You could swap out its cast and setting with Black Panther; basically same story.

I do think MF73 is an underrated cool GA key but I’m hardly on the ShillMan bandwagon either. But I kinda like Aquaman having a cheerleader; he needs it. Namor is kind of tiresome as the proud prince who is always ready to tell someone how not scared of them he is. We already had Hercules for that, and he’s more amusing as a semi-comical character. Namor hasn’t been interesting and textured since Stan was writing him — not because no one else could do it, but because no one else used him so well in that anti-hero, could be friend or foe way. 
Aquaman has had a lot more development as a character, from the loss of his son to reluctant leader of the last incarnation of the original JLA to Peter David’s run. Namor’s whole shtick for 30 years has been roll him out when you need an angry guy to start a slugfest.

Great thought followup! I'd go you one even better:

I think what was lame about Aquaman back then is that he couldn't remain out of water for more than an hour or he would rapidly decline and ultimately perish. Super lame! (: In that regard i always thought, yeah, Namor would kick his :censored:. Plus you saw Namor go up against some real Marvel hero heavy hitters. 

If used thoughfully by the right writer, the power to control sealife is pretty impressive. Maybe as a superhero you think, how is that going to come in handy on land? But if Aquaman was a super villain of say, Batman or or on the Marvel side Captain America,  i think folks would have a different outlook. You'd be like what is Batman going to do if he pursues him into the ocean and this guy has 50 great whites waiting for him :whatthe:

On 5/21/2022 at 10:15 PM, Captainwonder said:

Hhhhmmmm I think Wonder Woman is better known. 

Linda Carter is iconic.  But things change.  WW2 flopped.  Aquaman is the top grossing DC movie.  All I'm saying is that I expect things to even out.  WW shouldn't necessarily have an All-Time thread since 2007 unless Aquaman has one too.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:00 AM, sagii said:

If used thoughfully by the right writer, the power to control sealife is pretty impressive. Maybe as a superhero you think, how is that going to come in handy on land? But if Aquaman was a super villain of say, Batman or or on the Marvel side Captain America,  i think folks would have a different outlook. You'd be like what is Batman going to do if he pursues him into the ocean and this guy has 50 great whites waiting for him :whatthe:

An Alan Moore dark take on Aquaman would have rocked... I wish it had happened. Think e.g. Saga of the Swamp Thing #53 or Miracleman #15.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:17 PM, Point Five said:

An Alan Moore dark take on Aquaman would have rocked... I wish it had happened. Think e.g. Saga of the Swamp Thing #53 or Miracleman #15.

I agree with this , wholeheartedly.  Would have been one of the epic 80's/90's  archs.

On 6/1/2022 at 10:33 PM, sagii said:
On 6/1/2022 at 10:17 PM, Point Five said:

I agree with this , wholeheartedly.  Would have been one of the epic 80's/90's  archs.

Or better yet, it turns out that Aquaman is one of The Endless--Damp.  

On 6/1/2022 at 12:00 AM, ChillMan said:

Linda Carter is iconic.  But things change.  WW2 flopped.  Aquaman is the top grossing DC movie.  All I'm saying is that I expect things to even out.  WW shouldn't necessarily have an All-Time thread since 2007 unless Aquaman has one too.

Not sure what criteria you use to call a movie that came out in the middle of the pandemic a flop, but it exceeded (rightfully lowered) expectations. The first Wonder Woman film still has the highest domestic box office of any DCEU film. Perhaps China will eventually have strong demand for MF73, but that remains to be seen. No doubt, MF73 is currently the key issue in the MF run, and it might stay that way, but it's tough to call it undervalued at present. As stated earlier, WW is 3rd in DC licensing revenue and doesn't appear to be in any danger to drop below that (nor does she come close to threatening the money making duo of Batman/Superman).

On 6/2/2022 at 5:11 PM, Crowzilla said:

Not sure what criteria you use to call a movie that came out in the middle of the pandemic a flop, but it exceeded (rightfully lowered) expectations. The first Wonder Woman film still has the highest domestic box office of any DCEU film. Perhaps China will eventually have strong demand for MF73, but that remains to be seen. No doubt, MF73 is currently the key issue in the MF run, and it might stay that way, but it's tough to call it undervalued at present. As stated earlier, WW is 3rd in DC licensing revenue and doesn't appear to be in any danger to drop below that (nor does she come close to threatening the money making duo of Batman/Superman).

WW grossed $167M worldwide.  You can argue decent or flop (for a GA Justice Leaguer).  But the $19M in China was bad...a Chinese movie set a record of like $500 not long after.  Also, low grade copies of AS8 and MF73 sold for similar prices before this big boom.

All I'm saying is that the prices should eventually even out.  It's not like there's some huge ingrained difference between WW, Aquaman, Flash, and Green Lantern.

On 6/1/2022 at 8:39 AM, D84 said:

Still, what would you want in a golden age thread? Wonder Woman has covers to share while Aquaman doesn't until the silver age.

Aquaman fighting Nazi U-boats in 1941....

aquaman-kick.png.515da7893c657d4814574f371ed160fe.png

Edited by ChillMan