• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why was DR.STRANGE not on the cover of STRANGE TALES #110?
2 2

62 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 9:26 AM, shadroch said:

I'd date the Marvel Universe to  Amazing Adventures 1, although i'm not sure there is scientific consensus.

:headbang:

As a rabid PHM fanatic, I'd like to agree (but I could argue that Strange Worlds 1 is also a worthy candidate). But I think that was all "primer" for the explosion that would come later.

To me, the birth of the "Marvel Universe" was much closer to FF1, but it wasn't until the "continuity" and character cross-overs really began that allowed them to develop an entire cohesive pantheon. The FF, Spidey and the Hulk would have been less appealing (and likely less popular) if they stayed in their respective bubbles; once they began interacting, the "Marvel Universe" began. These characters lived, went to school and worked in places we knew about, had flaws at the personal, relationship and societal level and struggled with their powers & peers.

Stan, Jack, Steve and the gang had a lot of prior experiences that went into the magic potion for what was needed at the time and built it into a relatable escape that drew in many people for years.

-bc