• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convince me not to sell my entire comic book collection... Or don't.
7 7

105 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 7:27 AM, Math Teacher said:

Understood. However, I have books that I purchased in the late 1970s and in the early 1980s. I certainly don't have a receipt, and there is no way that I can remember what I paid for them. In this case, most of my books will have to designated as 100% profit.

I think it would be reasonable to base it on an old price guide for those instances, but that's just my opinion.

I'm so eager to just wash my hands entirely that the insane idea I had today was to just price every comic in my collection at $6 or $7 each (but whoever buys it has to buy the entire collection). Let me clarify that out of nearly 1,000 comics in said collection maybe 4 of them would be close in price to $7 and what I've got is primarily Silver-Bronze and a bunch of slabs; but I don't need to make a profit at this point I just want completely out of collecting and go cold turkey. Like some of the posts here, sometimes I feel like they sit there untouched and unloved and sometimes the thrill of getting some new SA books is overwhelming to the point of obsessive. It can really run hot & cold and I suppose there's never one easy answer.

I'd ditch the cats and keep the comics, but then I'm a dog person. ;)

I second the thought that I've sold collections in the past and lived to regret it.   I sold my Detective Comics #29-#36 to help finance a purchase for my then wife (she's now long gone thanks).  I should have gone to a bank, I could have gotten a loan at a good rate and paid it back.  Money doesn't accumulate value anywhere near as quickly as those pre-Robin detectives did.  And I bought all of those in the late 70s early 80s so I think I paid no more than $200 for any single issue and they were all mid grade and better.   I'll never do that again, and I have a run of Batman #1-20 that will go with me to the great beyond. But money is not the motivator for you, that's a good place to be.

I'd suggest buying one of the new fancy plastic comic short boxes (Amazon has 'em) -- they are great, they are durable and would stand up to cats.  Short boxes are a helluva lot less heavy than long boxes.  Fill three of them with titles you LOVE and then call up Ted @ Superworld or someone else who will travel to you and arrange all of the processing and shipping and hand you a pile of cash.   Don't discount some dealers not giving you a fair shake, I was with him in Chicago when he bought a large collection and it was much higher than what I would have expected a dealer to pay.  Worst case you decline the offer and you're not out anything.

Easy peasy.