• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

P.G.M. Punisher #1 1987 Limited Series
4 4

19 posts in this topic

I bought this from one of the FB shows, the front and back covers are in immaculate condition with no issues at all. But there there are interior pages with the pages corners looking like this. How much do you think pages like this would affect the grade?

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

Unless the page tears are deemed manufacturing-related, I'm thinking it'll bring the book down to the VF/NM range (provided all else is 9.4 or better).

On 6/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, grendelbo said:

Unless the page tears are deemed manufacturing-related, I'm thinking it'll bring the book down to the VF/NM range (provided all else is 9.4 or better).

Thanks for getting back to me. Have you seen them grade page tears like this as manufacturing-related issues in the past?

I'm debating if this is worth sending in or not.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:24 AM, captainzombie said:

Sure thing, I can add some additional pictures in the morning.

How badly does bug chew affect a grade?

The assigned grade depends on the condition of the rest of the book.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:40 AM, Funnybooks said:

The assigned grade depends on the condition of the rest of the book.

Here are some more pictures of the overall book. I did notice a very small spine tic on the front cover lower left hand side.

IMG_3465.jpg

IMG_3466.jpg

IMG_3467.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

IMG_3470.jpg

IMG_3471.jpg

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

Edited by captainzombie

On 6/13/2022 at 7:21 AM, Funnybooks said:

This is a tough one. The replies may be all over the place on this copy. 
Can this copy still get any "nm range..9.0+" grade at all? I don't think so despite how nicely the wraps present. Anyone else care to take a stab?

Thanks! Hopefully we can get a few more opinions.

I can't imagine that's bug chew with the cover wrap still looking like that! So, I'm going to guess that this is actually a manufacturing defect. But it's certainly not a common or widely-accepted manufacturing defect.

This is such a unique situation, it's tough to guess what CGC will do. Do they count it as a single defect, or many? The size of defects is a factor in CGC's grading scale; do they consider this small (the size of the missing corners) or much larger (the size of the corner times the number of pages affected)? Do they give a softer penalty because they sometimes go easy on interior defects? Do they think this is manufacturing-related and give you a break on the grade despite not being a "common" problem?

At the bottom of the scale, I could imagine them saying, look, a substantial percentage of the pages have a piece missing and, oh yeah, there's a spine tick. 6.5/7.0. At the top of the scale, I could imagine them deeming this one defect, then giving you a break because it doesn't appear to be post-consumer wear and it doesn't affect the exterior appearance and, hey, why not slap a 9.0/9.2 on this sucker? I think my guess would be to split the difference and say I think you're looking at an 8.5 book here, but honestly, I think an extreme grade in one direction or another is as likely as one in the middle here.

On 6/13/2022 at 5:48 PM, Qalyar said:

I can't imagine that's bug chew with the cover wrap still looking like that! So, I'm going to guess that this is actually a manufacturing defect. But it's certainly not a common or widely-accepted manufacturing defect.

This is such a unique situation, it's tough to guess what CGC will do. Do they count it as a single defect, or many? The size of defects is a factor in CGC's grading scale; do they consider this small (the size of the missing corners) or much larger (the size of the corner times the number of pages affected)? Do they give a softer penalty because they sometimes go easy on interior defects? Do they think this is manufacturing-related and give you a break on the grade despite not being a "common" problem?

At the bottom of the scale, I could imagine them saying, look, a substantial percentage of the pages have a piece missing and, oh yeah, there's a spine tick. 6.5/7.0. At the top of the scale, I could imagine them deeming this one defect, then giving you a break because it doesn't appear to be post-consumer wear and it doesn't affect the exterior appearance and, hey, why not slap a 9.0/9.2 on this sucker? I think my guess would be to split the difference and say I think you're looking at an 8.5 book here, but honestly, I think an extreme grade in one direction or another is as likely as one in the middle here.

On 6/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, Mmanick said:

I'm going 8.5/9.0 great book

Thank you for the feedback on this. This is my second copy of the book, the first one I have is a 9.8 Newstand and got lucky purchasing it raw, cleaning it and pressing it and getting such a high grade.

I bought this one from an online show and when it came in I was quite excited because the front and back covers looked in such great shape. Then I started flipping through the book, and I'm like shoot, something is wrong with these pages. This one could be interesting as it could sway one direction or the other, and that is what left me to think that those pages could possibly of been manufacturing defect.....but who knows on which grader gets this book and how they end up viewing it. Especially when it is a newer grader vs. an experienced one.