• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures in Craigslist comic shopping
2 2

90 posts in this topic

I've really appreciated and enjoyed this thread and all the experiences shared and posted here. It's something I've been weighing- what do you guys think of listing collections on Craigslist? It's generally hit or miss, right? It's a safer bet to list a collection for sale on a community messageboard like right here or is selling on CL beneficial sometimes? 

On 7/3/2022 at 7:23 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

I've really appreciated and enjoyed this thread and all the experiences shared and posted here. It's something I've been weighing- what do you guys think of listing collections on Craigslist? It's generally hit or miss, right? It's a safer bet to list a collection for sale on a community messageboard like right here or is selling on CL beneficial sometimes? 

There's nothing wrong with it but you just have to be realistic about what kind of people you're going to be dealing with and the prices you should expect.  Is your collection full of keys?  Don't bulk it out on CL (unless you really need the money).  Is it mainly modern filler and you're ok with getting $.33 MAX (and probably lower) per book?  CL all the way, baby.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 7/3/2022 at 4:23 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

I've wondered whether there might be a local market niche like that.  There is no LCS or other place to look for/buy back issues on my side of town, and the number of physical locations where you can find them is way down in town generally.  The rest of the internet kind of ruins things, but of course you can't hold a Heritage or eBay book in your hands before you buy.  While I appreciate that CL buyers might want to pay $0.33 per book, that doesn't mean I have to accept that price.  I think if you're clear that books are priced as marked with no discounts but your prices are fair you could get some action.  And if no one responds, who cares?  It doesn't cost anything to list.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

Appreciate both responses. I got some good feedback too a couple months back, I have listed once but got so many space cadets it just didn't seem worth the trouble but I also considered that maybe that it's sometimes dependent on who is looking through CL at what time.

Like me. lol

I'm serious about finding comics on Craigslist, but leery about Craigslist.  Those sellers will probably get my money because I'm not one of 'those' people. (thumbsu

On 7/3/2022 at 2:20 PM, Galen130 said:

Like me. lol

I'm serious about finding comics on Craigslist, but leery about Craigslist.  Those sellers will probably get my money because I'm not one of 'those' people. (thumbsu

Yeah, exactly. So perhaps I have hope to get a good price for my complete set of Nightwatch. But I really did get some weirdness to the point that I thought one guy was pranking me- he thought I was an eBay seller he dealt with before (I am not an eBay seller and do not have an eBay store) and then argued with me when I told him I wasn't, before bizarrely making a reference to Stargate. I really thought it was a prank before a google search showed this guy was indeed really how he presented himself to be. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:12 PM, Galen130 said:

Well, I may have the bug now.  I found another Craigslist yard sale out here in the county next weekend...only 10 minutes away.  There will be comics.  My wife wants to go to, so that should be fun. lol

No go here.  My wife and I did go to the advertised yard sale this past Saturday.  I woke her up at 6am to go with me :whistle:.

Nothing....crickets.  I guess they decided not to have it, or something came up for them.  We did have the correct address, so don't ask. lol

Found another listing on Craigslist today, someone selling three long boxes of comics for a couple hundred.  It would be a three hour drive...not worth the gas I would need, even if they met me half way.  Money is tight, even for Craigslist purchases.  This whole Craigslist thing may be short term.  I'm just not that gung ho about finding bulk comics, unless they are GA or SA.  I'm picky like that. (shrug)

On 7/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, Galen130 said:

No go here.  My wife and I did go to the advertised yard sale this past Saturday.  I woke her up at 6am to go with me :whistle:.

Nothing....crickets.  I guess they decided not to have it, or something came up for them.  We did have the correct address, so don't ask. lol

Found another listing on Craigslist today, someone selling three long boxes of comics for a couple hundred.  It would be a three hour drive...not worth the gas I would need, even if they met me half way.  Money is tight, even for Craigslist purchases.  This whole Craigslist thing may be short term.  I'm just not that gung ho about finding bulk comics, unless they are GA or SA.  I'm picky like that. (shrug)

My experience over the last year or so has been than the majority of books at these sales are Modern.  I only rarely see Silver Age or Golden Age books.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:56 AM, MattTheDuck said:

My experience over the last year or so has been than the majority of books at these sales are Modern.  I only rarely see Silver Age or Golden Age books.

I feel the same way, but I am batting one thousand so far because the two ads I responded to, and made purchases, were Silver Age.  There were a few GA peppered in, but nothing crazy.  If they show pics of Modern comics, I'm likely to just skip past those ads.  The one yard sale I went to a few weeks ago, they guy had lots of Silver Age...especially war stuff.  Good thing I'm picky. lol

On 7/11/2022 at 10:07 AM, Galen130 said:

I feel the same way, but I am batting one thousand so far because the two ads I responded to, and made purchases, were Silver Age.  There were a few GA peppered in, but nothing crazy.  If they show pics of Modern comics, I'm likely to just skip past those ads.  The one yard sale I went to a few weeks ago, they guy had lots of Silver Age...especially war stuff.  Good thing I'm picky. lol

Well, it's smart to focus on sales that either have pictures or more exacting descriptions.  A lot of people will say they have "antique" or "old" comics and they're 90s or something.  In some instances I've tried messaging them for details, but I generally don't get a response.

Edited by MattTheDuck