• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's Resident Evil
2 2

27 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2022 at 12:12 AM, MR SigS said:

I couldn't make it through the 1st episode without losing interest, and I hadn't read a single review or opinion on it. It just wasn't RE. 

The first game is still me favorite. If they made a film half as good, it would be twice as good as anything offered yet (haven't seen Welcome to Racoon City).

Racoon City is the closest to getting it right, unfortunately they jammed in too much of the games (they tried to combine both the first two games into a single film). What we ended up is half a good movie (in the mansion) and then another half that you'll mostly get angry at just because they keep cutting away from the mansion :( 

It's not bad, but it could have been a much better shorter movie.

Okay I lied, it's now "good"...technically, and by that I mean specifically the --script structure. Episode 4 was 100% Resident Evil (unless all you've ever played was the first two games, but this was giving me latter entries in the series vibes...and had more game references than the other episodes) but what I enjoyed specifically was how tight the connecting cues and intercuts between the two parallel stories was done. I think this is what I was picking up on...I don't like the show, but I do like the structure of the scripting and how the plot beats are handled.

The cues in one story, either the present day or the past childhood story, mirrored each other well without being too heavy handed. I think this is something that is very easy to miss and won't matter much to most viewers, but when watching any sort of media this is one of my favourite things to look out for (and also what jumps out when poorly done - a recent example of very poor interconnected flashbacks and poorly flowing --script would be Book of Boba Fett).

So episode four basically made it worth it for me just on a technical level.

(edit after watching ep 5 & 6: Episode 5 had some more actual RE vibes to it, but after that it was pretty much back to going down hill fast with an utter wreck of an episode 6...this is spinning way out of control and has lost the plot!)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 7/24/2022 at 10:38 AM, fastballspecial said:

Well I am the opposite here. I am 4 episodes in and I am enjoying it. 
I like the switch from different time periods to tell the story how it all unraveled.

Its not like the video game. 

So far unless it falls flat at the end I think its a very good attempt at a successful
path forward. 

Definitely enjoyable and I think the massive negativity I heard about it online primed my expectations going in (It did start poorly in episode 1, but did get better)

I think any cries of it being 'not like the video game' only hold true if the only RE video games played were the first two. I personally find the lore/characters/plot pretty much par for the course for any of the later released RE games, so I don't see any issues with this being Resident Evil (though just watching the first episode didn't feel like it in of itself and that could have been named anything...but after a few episodes it felt better)

Resident Evil Canceled on Netflix

The live-action “Resident Evil” series at Netflix has been canceled after just one season.

The eight-episode first season premiered on Netflix July 14. The show was originally ordered to series at Netflix in 2020.

The series debuted to a mixed critical response, registering just a 55% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes coupled with a 27% audience approval rating. Per the weekly Netflix Top 10 rankings that the streamer issues, “Resident Evil” was streamed for over 72 million hours the week it debuted, making it the number two program of the week behind only “Stranger Things” Season 4. It dropped to number three in its second week and fell out of the top 10 by week 3.

Mild_Shock.gif.c15d25a089e2b4e8ac42d617a6a482b2.gif