• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isom#1 Rippaverse
1 1

202 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2022 at 1:03 AM, Prince Namor said:

So the guy who wants to discriminate against LGBT people is getting discriminated against for being black?

So what, we're supposed to support him for that?

Is this some sort of Ashton Kutcher style Punk'd social experiment?

Some guy with NO comic, and no experience in comics, takes a political stance against LGBT people while pretending not to - raises what looks like about $84 per issue for a book that'll cost $5 at the LCS - claims he can't get the $3 million in money from Paypal - gets discriminated against by Redditt posters - and now wants us to feel sorry for him and contribute money?

Are modern comic book fans and people in general really this dumb? 

Doesn't appear to be discriminating against anyone.

Privilege and racism........sad. :frown:

On 9/8/2022 at 11:04 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Instead of constantly displaying your ignorance and bias, you should try reading the thread and you would already know the answer to your question.

Then be sure to let us know when you actually do get one of those "open" minds.

You haven't kicked in any more money in the meantime? How much in total? 

$35 bucks for a new comic is a lot of money. You could still get 10 regular Marvels for that. 

On 9/9/2022 at 1:05 AM, Prince Namor said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the reddit racists' posts are by his own fans as a part of the campaign to drum up controversy and support.

This stinks in every way possible. 

There's plenty of it going on in here. 

If he sells a lot.....it must be shills.......if there are racist posts.......it must be his own fans drawing up controversy.

The racism and bias on display in here is sad. :frown:

On 9/9/2022 at 1:10 AM, jdandns said:

You haven't kicked in any more money in the meantime? How much in total? 

$35 bucks for a new comic is a lot of money. You could still get 10 regular Marvels for that. 

Looks like you aren't going to take my advice.

Open mind? lol

On 9/9/2022 at 2:13 AM, Domo Arigato said:

If he sells a lot.....it must be shills.......if there are racist posts.......it must be his own fans drawing up controversy.

There's no racism going on in here, shill. 

Lots of shilling though, shill. 

Time to go on ignore.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:13 PM, Domo Arigato said:

What do you mean "racist"? Aren't you Japanese? What does that have to do with anything? 

Did they send out any of the posters or shirts yet? Those look sharp, but how come Yaira is a lady? Couldn't she have been a guy?

Is the Rippaverse falling into the same trap that Marvel did when they made up Sue Storm instead of a Steve Storm so as to gender-integrate the Fantastic Four? (At least she was invisible most of the time, right?)

You know what that can lead to, don't you? Women having milkshakes!

On 9/9/2022 at 1:20 AM, Prince Namor said:

There's no racism going on in here, shill. 

Lots of shilling though, shill. 

Time to go on ignore.

So how did you come up with the $84 per issue you stated?  

I think the answer is pretty obvious and that hate is clouding your judgement.  Sad. :frown:

And yes, please put me on ignore so I don't have to worry about seeing any more of it.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:03 AM, Prince Namor said:

So the guy who wants to discriminate against LGBT people is getting discriminated against for being black?

So what, we're supposed to support him for that?

Is this some sort of Ashton Kutcher style Punk'd social experiment?

Some guy with NO comic, and no experience in comics, takes a political stance against LGBT people while pretending not to - raises what looks like about $84 per issue for a book that'll cost $5 at the LCS - claims he can't get the $3 million in money from Paypal - gets discriminated against by Redditt posters - and now wants us to feel sorry for him and contribute money?

Are modern comic book fans and people in general really this dumb? 

I wish them nothing but the best. I hope the comic is as well written as it appears to have been drawn, based on the samples. If so, the initial higher price for issue #1 will be quickly shown to have been a bargain. Obviously, they'll need to follow up with more issues in short order to keep the momentum going, as is true of any "new universe".

Just to make sure it's clear I'm on their side, I came up with a nifty slogan for the company to use, free of charge, if they want to.

Comics For People Who Want Everything To Go Back To Exactly The Way Things Were In 1984, Specifically That Time The Ice Cream Man Accidentally Gave Them Too Much Change And They Used It To Go To The Mall And See Ghostbusters Again!!!

On 9/9/2022 at 1:21 AM, jdandns said:

What do you mean "racist"? Aren't you Japanese? What does that have to do with anything? 

Always concerned about race.

Sad. :frown:

The rest of your post didn't make any sense, so I just ignored it.  

On 9/9/2022 at 1:34 AM, jdandns said:

I wish them nothing but the best. I hope the comic is as well written as it appears to have been drawn, based on the samples. If so, the initial higher price for issue #1 will be quickly shown to have been a bargain. Obviously, they'll need to follow up with more issues in short order to keep the momentum going, as is true of any "new universe".

They pulled in over $3.5 million very quickly.  I think they're going to do ok, but I'm sure your wishes mean a lot to him.

On 9/9/2022 at 1:34 AM, jdandns said:

Just to make sure it's clear I'm on their side, I came up with a nifty slogan for the company to use, free of charge, if they want to.

Comics For People Who Want Everything To Go Back To Exactly The Way Things Were In 1984, Specifically That Time The Ice Cream Man Accidentally Gave Them Too Much Change And They Used It To Go To The Mall And See Ghostbusters Again!!!

Does that mean the old slogan of.....Comics for people who want creators to be forced to put things into their creations or I'll label it as hate, so if only vanilla ice cream is shown and not chocolate, then we'll get our panties in a wad and scream until it's cancelled.......would disappear?

I don't know......perhaps we could have both and some could consider shutting the hell up and stop trying to force their viewpoint into an artists project.

The concept is super-derivative, long ago done to death, really, no matter what the creator intends. The art looks good, though, which can make a world of difference should the story be lacking. We'll see how it goes. Lots of people get rich on stuff they never deliver on, though, and it'd take more than simply publishing one issue a year with a whole bunch of shirts, posters, hats, action figures, and keychains in between those issues to make good on the promise made. Many actual professionals have failed repeatedly in past attempts to create new comic universes, and a lot of those were unhindered by any hot button issue-sensitive editorial interference, something the Rippaverse should also enjoy. It won't be easy to actually do it, though, that is to create a cohesive comic universe right out of the gate, no matter how much money people throw at it to try and prove some nebulous grievance point.

Edited by jdandns

On 9/9/2022 at 2:05 AM, jdandns said:

The concept is super-derivative, long ago done to death, really, no matter what the artist intends. Art looks good, though, which can make a world of difference should the story be lacking. We'll see how it goes. Lots of people get rich on stuff they never deliver on, though, and it'd take more than simply publishing one issue a year with a whole bunch of shirts, posters, hats, action figures, and keychains in between those issues to make good on the promise made. A bunch of actual professionals have failed repeatedly in past attempts to create new comic universes, and a lot of those were totally without any hot button issue-sensitive editorial interference. It won't be easy to actually do it, no matter how much money people throw at it to try and prove a point.

All opinion, suspicion and speculation based on stuff that hasn't happened yet and on a comic that none of us have read yet.

I don't know how much more of this open-mindedness the world can take. lol

On 9/9/2022 at 3:05 AM, jdandns said:

The concept is super-derivative, long ago done to death, really, no matter what the creator intends. The art looks good, though, which can make a world of difference should the story be lacking. We'll see how it goes. Lots of people get rich on stuff they never deliver on, though, and it'd take more than simply publishing one issue a year with a whole bunch of shirts, posters, hats, action figures, and keychains in between those issues to make good on the promise made. Many actual professionals have failed repeatedly in past attempts to create new comic universes, and a lot of those were unhindered by any hot button issue-sensitive editorial interference, something the Rippaverse should also enjoy. It won't be easy to actually do it, though, that is to create a cohesive comic universe right out of the gate, no matter how much money people throw at it to try and prove some nebulous grievance point.

Well said.

It doesn't truly seem as if their point is to make a comic, but rather make a statement, so I doubt we'll see much of this over time. 

A hero who doesn't want to be a hero, but gets pulled back into it?

Not exactly a new angle. 

On 9/9/2022 at 12:14 AM, Domo Arigato said:

All opinion, suspicion and speculation based on stuff that hasn't happened yet and on a comic that none of us have read yet.

I don't know how much more of this open-mindedness the world can take. lol

That might be the problem. We have seen this story before. I'd say in what comics (and movies), but I wouldn't want to give them any ideas if they haven't hit those yet. You can't possibly think this is something new. Besides the tired concept trope in the synopsis on the pledge page, even the way that blurb is written is an unfortunately large red flag, or is the basic expectation that proper grammar be used in ad material also something you resent and consider to be unfairly forced on creators?   

On 9/9/2022 at 2:16 AM, Prince Namor said:

A hero who doesn't want to be a hero, but gets pulled back into it?

Obviously there's more depth to it than that, and it's easy to see what you're doing.

And yes....it does seem pretty interesting.  Over $3.5 million with 16 days left to go in the campaign......so it seems like a lot of people think so.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:25 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Obviously there's more depth to it than that, and it's easy to see what you're doing.

And yes....it does seem pretty interesting.  Over $3.5 million with 16 days left to go in the campaign......so it seems like a lot of people think so.

The amount of money invested in something guarantees very little. Movie studios regularly spend hundreds of millions of dollars on movies that turn out to be terrible. I would like to see some sample scripted pages from this book.