• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Summer Edition (#3) Round 2
10 10

188 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2022 at 7:58 PM, CGC Mike said:

My bad.  I should have disclosed that.

Somebody already said they called it a 3.0, so maybe plenty of people assumed that was happening with the discoloration at the top.

I should have looked at other copies of this book. I would have known it was far from normal for that comic.

On 7/31/2022 at 5:59 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

A 5.0 with a corner missing (I gave it 4.0) ... and that 181 is about the weakest 6.5 I've ever seen. It looks like it has a poke hole in the upper right edge!  (I gave it 5.5). On the Four Color, I thought the bottom right was a corner chip. I have it at 7.5.  :facepalm:

I am still undergrading even when I take the "round up" approach.

The GI Combat looks way better than 4.0 relative to these other books.

In a short contest, all it takes is one bad round and you're done. And I'm done. :tonofbricks:  

merely make your grades then add one full grade point!!!! Bullseye city!    (worship)

On 7/31/2022 at 7:59 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

A 5.0 with a corner missing (I gave it 4.0) ... and that 181 is about the weakest 6.5 I've ever seen. It looks like it has a poke hole in the upper right edge!  (I gave it 5.5). On the Four Color, I thought the bottom right was a corner chip. I have it at 7.5.  :facepalm:

I am still undergrading even when I take the "round up" approach.

The GI Combat looks way better than 4.0 relative to these other books.

From my notes:

IH 181   5.5, 6.0,  6.5

HC    4.0, 4.5,  5.0

Spawn  9.6, 9.4, 9.6

I thought the four color had a corner chip too, then I geeked out and took a photo of the largest scan with my phone to zoom in more..

:fear:

Oh, boy ... my grades were a bit low Round One, and I WAY over corrected for this round. 

I saw the stain on the Four Color but dismissed it.  I see stains like that all the time on Disney books; thought it was a production thing.  Same with the light scuff marks on the Spawn, gave it a 9.6.  And I can never see foxing on pictures, unless it is very bad foxing.  Did anyone else see that?

A humongous 12 points this round.  Ug.  @kav's strategy of "don't over think it" did NOT work for me, lol.

Hit Comics #5 ... 6.5 (5.0) +3

Four Color #348 ... 9.4 (9.0) +2

GI Combat #68 ... 6.0 (4.0) +4

Incredible Hulk #181 ... 7.5 (6.5) +2

Spawn #1 ... 9.6 (9.4) +1

On 7/31/2022 at 6:19 PM, Tedsaid said:

Oh, boy ... my grades were a bit low Round One, and I WAY over corrected for this round. 

I saw the stain on the Four Color but dismissed it.  I see stains like that all the time on Disney books; thought it was a production thing.  Same with the light scuff marks on the Spawn, gave it a 9.6.  And I can never see foxing on pictures, unless it is very bad foxing.  Did anyone else see that?

A humongous 12 points this round.  Ug.  @kav's strategy of "don't over think it" did NOT work for me, lol.

Hit Comics #5 ... 6.5 (5.0) +3

Four Color #348 ... 9.4 (9.0) +2

GI Combat #68 ... 6.0 (4.0) +4

Incredible Hulk #181 ... 7.5 (6.5) +2

Spawn #1 ... 9.6 (9.4) +1

image.png.7bb50c0858f9a5485d610bb16d16a517.png

On 7/31/2022 at 6:55 PM, Point Five said:

We now take you live to my Round 2 grades  

giphy.gif.c3f12c968d92aefec31ac90b77a0fef6.gif

(worship)

On 7/31/2022 at 7:16 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Almost the same as round one for me. One bullseye (Incredible Hulk #181) but a bunch of 2's, and one off on Hit Comics for a total of 7. 

Looks like I'm flaming out.

shot_down_in_flames.jpeg

WHAAM!
Whaam!', Roy Lichtenstein, 1963 | Tate

On 7/31/2022 at 8:03 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

I’m sure the deep shadow along the top of the cover is part of the same defect.  No way to know for sure it affects the interior too but it’s a good bet.

Did someone say bet?
Pin page

My grades:

Hit - 4.0 (Structurally it did not seem solid to me and of course those long color breaking creases maybe in hand it was solid?)

FC - 8.0 (Looking back on it now I missed that one and took off more than I should have for that LRHC color rub, small stain on the BC if I remember corectly)

GI Combat - 4.5 (It was a 4.0 but tried to give it a bump when it did not deserve one)

Hulk - 6.5 (Bullseye -- looked better than a 6 but most definitely worse than a 7)

Spawn - 9.6 (I gave it an undeserved bump)