• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

multiple staple recessed explanation?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2022 at 2:56 PM, King Farce said:

No it's not 2c

Well, my friend, if you break it down it makes perfect sense:  

Multiple = more than one. Staple = staple. Recessed = sunken or deep-set. 

And Axe-Elf, please bear in mind that these notes are usually taken from a pre-written menu and the graders will choose the notes that best describe the flaw or flaws. It takes some time and patience, but eventually it's easy to understand CGC grading lingo...   :foryou:

On 7/29/2022 at 5:23 PM, The Lions Den said:

And Axe-Elf, please bear in mind that these notes are usually taken from a pre-written menu and the graders will choose the notes that best describe the flaw or flaws.

I do bear that in mind, but "multiple staple recessed" isn't the kind of grammatically correct item that would be pre-entered into a menu, so I'm assuming that the grader does have the ability to enter a free-form note for an uncommon defect. There may not be a standard entry for "staple creases" like the ones seen here, and if the grader typoed "creases," it's not hard to see how it could get auto-corrected to "recessed."

It's just a hypothesis, unsupported by anything other than conjecture; and could well be wrong...

On 7/29/2022 at 6:41 PM, Axe Elf said:

I do bear that in mind, but "multiple staple recessed" isn't the kind of grammatically correct item that would be pre-entered into a menu, so I'm assuming that the grader does have the ability to enter a free-form note for an uncommon defect. There may not be a standard entry for "staple creases" like the ones seen here, and if the grader typoed "creases," it's not hard to see how it could get auto-corrected to "recessed."

It's just a hypothesis, unsupported by anything other than conjecture; and could well be wrong...

You do seem to have a knack for turning a simple explanation into a convoluted mess... :bigsmile:

On 7/29/2022 at 5:50 PM, The Lions Den said:

You do seem to have a knack for turning a simple explanation into a convoluted mess... :bigsmile:

Heh... It's kind of a Catch-22.  Too few details and people don't understand what I'm saying; too many details and it becomes a convoluted mess.

It was just a spitball idea based on the ubiquitous autocorrect errors we've all experienced; a passing comment that I would have preferred to let pass without any further explanation at all.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, King Farce said:

staples can't get creases

I would have thought the same thing, until I saw the picture.

I mean by the same token, staples can't technically get "tears" either, but "multiple staple tears" is a thing.

On 7/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, King Farce said:

I agree with (most of) this!  Nobody in the hobby says "multiple staple recessed". It's either "top/bottom staple recessed" or "staples recessed". They also don't say "multiple staple creases" because staples can't get creases. Those are spine stresses.

But what about the third staple? :shiftyeyes:

(Yeah, but a tiny number of comics actually have more than two staples)

On 7/29/2022 at 7:17 PM, King Farce said:

I agree with (most of) this!  Nobody in the hobby says "multiple staple recessed". It's either "top/bottom staple recessed" or "staples recessed". They also don't say "multiple staple creases" because staples can't get creases. Those are spine stresses.

I agree that the notes can be a bit obtuse.

Personally, I would've written something like "both staples recessed w/ small tears and stress lines." But at CGC, time really is money...  (shrug)

Edited by The Lions Den

On 7/29/2022 at 7:02 PM, Axe Elf said:

It was just a spitball idea based on the ubiquitous autocorrect errors we've all experienced; a passing comment that I would have preferred to let pass without any further explanation at all.

You're still my favorite Elf...  :foryou: