• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Travel Tips for NYCC
3 3

32 posts in this topic

as the NY Hotels are running $300 + per Night, I can provide some Help here

If you go to Hotels.com ,  type in as your destination HICKSVILLE STATION

This is in Nassau county, Long Island 

with the dates oct 6-9, You will see some nice economical options, I did this Just now and top of the list  was a days inn for $113 per night ,2 miles from the station with breakfast 

Hicksville is a main hub and trains run  back and forth to and from Penn  fairly frequently. its about a 40 minute ride, 

The Lirr round trip is appx $25 , Penn staion(32nd and 8th)  is about  1/2 mile from the front of the convention center 

There is a connecting train, but it is a huge pain in the

There are 2 great diners on 34th street on the way, one is the tic-tok, I don't remember the other 

If you have any questions about using Long Island as an Option, feel free to ask

On 9/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, Golden Memories said:

with the dates oct 6-9, You will see some nice economical options, I did this Just now and top of the list  was a days inn for $113 per night ,2 miles from the station with breakfast 

Hicksville is a main hub and trains run  back and forth to and from Penn  fairly frequently. its about a 40 minute ride, 

The Lirr round trip is appx $25 , Penn staion(32nd and 8th)  is about  1/2 mile from the front of the convention center 

There are 2 great diners on 34th street on the way, one is the tic-tok, I don't remember the other 

If you have any questions about using Long Island as an Option, feel free to ask

dont use hotels.com! it's a scam! i used them earlier this year and stayed at some garbagey motel that had gotten a 4.5 review there based on hundreds of reviews. well, i was eager to let people know that this supposedly good hotel is next the the freakin freeway and you'll be awake all night, but alas, customers cannot leave reviews on hotels.com. where did that mysterious great rating come from then? not from anyone who stayed there! try expedia or any other site than hotels.com. total garbage website. 

On 9/14/2022 at 8:01 AM, alexgross.com said:

dont use hotels.com! it's a scam! i used them earlier this year and stayed at some garbagey motel that had gotten a 4.5 review there based on hundreds of reviews. well, i was eager to let people know that this supposedly good hotel is next the the freakin freeway and you'll be awake all night, but alas, customers cannot leave reviews on hotels.com. where did that mysterious great rating come from then? not from anyone who stayed there! try expedia or any other site than hotels.com. total garbage website. 

Was that in LA? because we stayed in a hotel while visiting Disneyland that was also right on the freeway.

This was Not meant as a referendum on any particular travel service 

But rather a way to show  visitors, a More reasonable option  for NYC travel 

In addition Most of the Long Island hotels offer free parking, as opposed to NY where parking is around $60 a day 

LIRR also offers MUCH More comfortable, cleaner and safer Transport

then NYC trains 

all in all this option can save around $600 

I am saving a lot more money by not going to the show this year…the guest list becomes less interesting with each passing year, less comic and OA dealers due to the rising cost and hassle of getting a booth, along with ever-increasing ticket prices.

conversely, I found HeroesCon and Terrificon to be much better options

On 9/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, Golden Memories said:

The "new" Hudson Yards is at 33 and 10th.  Plenty of slightly upscale food joints at the Citizen NY Fool Hall/Court there. It's a 5 minute walk from Javits.  Also the new Hudson yards mall across the street has a lot of nice dining. again it 5 min or less walk from convention center.

If you stay in Nassau ; ensure to verify on https://new.mta.info/alerts that the trains will be running that weekend. For the past year each weekend, some lines especially the LIRR main line which Hicksville is on,  have closed for repair/maintenance as well as to prep for the new East Side Access slated for Dec.

P.S. be sure to purchase LIRR tickets before boarding train or cost will be nearly double plus everyone will enjoy make fun of you.   You can also purchase via the app; https://new.mta.info/guides/apps

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I am saving a lot more money by not going to the show this year…the guest list becomes less interesting with each passing year, less comic and OA dealers due to the rising cost and hassle of getting a booth, along with ever-increasing ticket prices.

From the center of the universe?

BTW:   I'm glad for your money saving decision.

Edited by MAR1979

Staying on the Jersey side also provides cost effective hotel options - at least it did pre COVID.  As an added bonus, you don't have to drive in or through Manhattan to get to your hotel.  I've always liked Secacus - a quick bus ride into Manhattan...depending on the traffic of course. lol

Edited by pemart1966

On 9/14/2022 at 11:01 AM, alexgross.com said:

I have been very happy with hotels.com.

Perhaps the mysterious rating came not from the booking company but from the hotel itself under multiple accounts.  I have a wedding to attend and there was a hotel that was available but the user reviews were horrendous so I passed on it.  It was cheaper than the others but the price was easily explained by what previous guests claimed was happening over there. 

I was very happy with Hotels.com back in June when we booked a weekend getaway to Newport, Rhode Island.  Hotels.com offered the room at a cheaper rate the hotels' actual website offered.  We really liked the old colonial house we roomed at right in the heart of the area and a few blocks from the restaurants and nightlife. 

As I write this I really think that perhaps the staff itself inflated it's own score. 

On 9/17/2022 at 9:18 AM, MAR1979 said:

If you stay in Nassau ; ensure to verify on https://new.mta.info/alerts that the trains will be running that weekend. For the past year each weekend, some lines especially the LIRR main line which Hicksville is on,  have closed for repair/maintenance as well as to prep for the new East Side Access slated for Dec.

P.S. be sure to purchase LIRR tickets before boarding train or cost will be nearly double plus everyone will enjoy make fun of you.   You can also purchase via the app; https://new.mta.info/guides/apps

lol this is very true. 

Also, bring headphones.  If I have to offer you mine, it's a polite way of saying, no one wants to hear your nonsense coming from your phone speaker, shut up and shut it off. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/17/2022 at 6:41 AM, Golden Memories said:

This was Not meant as a referendum on any particular travel service 

But rather a way to show  visitors, a More reasonable option  for NYC travel 

In addition Most of the Long Island hotels offer free parking, as opposed to NY where parking is around $60 a day 

LIRR also offers MUCH More comfortable, cleaner and safer Transport

then NYC trains 

all in all this option can save around $600 

That's really not saying much.  Getting tired of stepping over folded up scooters in the middle of the aisle to get out of the door and the occasional homeless guy wandering on the train or riding between Jamaica and Penn. 

On 9/13/2022 at 3:22 PM, Golden Memories said:

Mid Island... bah

South Shore baybeeeeeee!

Moynihan Hall is beautiful and currently has active security walking around.  However there are a LOT of blind corners and spaces where someone can lurk undetected. 

Also... be careful when rounding corners at Penn Station. 

And always be aware of what is going on around you and beneath you. 

Picture is of the ACE Subway platform downtown side of things at Penn.

23rd Street platform truly looks like they are Urban Campgrounds. 

8th Ave is finally a little better. 

IMG_1498.HEIC.jpeg

On 9/24/2022 at 12:02 AM, Buzzetta said:

I have been very happy with hotels.com.

Perhaps the mysterious rating came not from the booking company but from the hotel itself under multiple accounts.  I have a wedding to attend and there was a hotel that was available but the user reviews were horrendous so I passed on it.  It was cheaper than the others but the price was easily explained by what previous guests claimed was happening over there. 

I was very happy with Hotels.com back in June when we booked a weekend getaway to Newport, Rhode Island.  Hotels.com offered the room at a cheaper rate the hotels' actual website offered.  We really liked the old colonial house we roomed at right in the heart of the area and a few blocks from the restaurants and nightlife. 

As I write this I really think that perhaps the staff itself inflated it's own score. 

Man, Newport.  What a fun city to visit.  We went to the breakers and ate some great lobster on our trip there. 

On 9/24/2022 at 9:19 AM, WolverineX said:

Man, Newport.  What a fun city to visit.  We went to the breakers and ate some great lobster on our trip there. 

I was in awe of the Breakers.  That was on another level.  Here on Long Island we have toured a few of the mansions and the Vanderbilts really had quite the life.   We stayed at one of the hotels designed from an old house.  Pretty sure it was Bellevue Manor so we could walk to Bowen's Wharf at night.  The Cliff Walk and Ocean Drive was also a treat.  It was like driving around the shore on Long Island but nicer and without the traffic. 

It was a very pleasant weekend getaway and definitely a place to return to if we get the chance. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 9/24/2022 at 12:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

Moynihan Hall is beautiful and currently has active security walking around.  However there are a LOT of blind corners and spaces where someone can lurk undetected. 

Also... be careful when rounding corners at Penn Station. 

And always be aware of what is going on around you and beneath you. 

Picture is of the ACE Subway platform downtown side of things at Penn.

23rd Street platform truly looks like they are Urban Campgrounds. 

8th Ave is finally a little better. 

IMG_1498.HEIC.jpeg

It's become very bad especially in and around Penn Station. Income from Tourism is easy clean money in bunches but it appears NYC leaders want to go back to the 1970's and 1980's when Manhattan was "No Man's Land".  Please though, lets not veer off into politics.

Edited by MAR1979

Well looks like my trip to NYCC is back on.  A dear old college friend agreed to host me in Jersey City so I'll be commuting in from there daily via bus and train.  

I'm looking forward to checking out all the cool comics, making some good buys, and geeking out over cool comics again.  It's been too long since my last convention.

On 10/1/2022 at 5:29 PM, justafan said:

Well looks like my trip to NYCC is back on.  A dear old college friend agreed to host me in Jersey City so I'll be commuting in from there daily via bus and train.  

I'm looking forward to checking out all the cool comics, making some good buys, and geeking out over cool comics again.  It's been too long since my last convention.

You can take the ferry over as well and it drops you right off by the Javits Center.