• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mattbird's 2 year Action Comics parade

65 posts in this topic

Matt, all of those Action Comics that you have are Awesome!! Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gifI love # 12 , # 15, etc. those covers are classics . But for myself if I had one to pick & only one , it would be Action # 13 . check that cover out . Maybe , somebody on these boards has one to post , Jon Berk ,maybe?? Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive!! grin.gif I just love that cover , Hope to get one sometime. I can only Imagine what a High Grade copy would look like. Then again any Actions in high grade,1st 20 ,AHHH! we can Dream! cloud9.gif

hey Matt, what do you think of that #14

http://comics.heritagegalleries.com/comm...;hdnSearch=true

I don't see this one going too high, due to the tanish back cover and water spots on the top corner back cover.. still not too bad af a book, the front cover looks good though. and it's says it's the highest graded copy so far.

you know, there's a few things I don't understand about the logic of the grading system, and the acceptance of partial tanned covers / dust shadows is the biggest. To me, this is a major flaw that ruins the looks of the cover art. I'd much rather own a dust shadow-less copy with a piece missing from the back cover, or a spine split, or tape, or even a bit of hand writing in a corner than something where the looks of the cover are totally ruined (IMHO, of course) by something running right throught the artwork.

as to highest graded copy, clearly that's only because others haven't yet gotten thiers graded! Metro has a 7.5 on thier site, for one.

I might throw in a low bid if it looks available, but otherwise I'll pass.

sign-rantpost.gif

Matt, all of those Action Comics that you have are Awesome!! Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gifI love # 12 , # 15, etc. those covers are classics . But for myself if I had one to pick & only one , it would be Action # 13 . check that cover out . Maybe , somebody on these boards has one to post , Jon Berk ,maybe?? Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive!! grin.gif I just love that cover , Hope to get one sometime. I can only Imagine what a High Grade copy would look like. Then again any Actions in high grade,1st 20 ,AHHH! we can Dream! cloud9.gif

13 is on the list! now just to find one....

hey Matt, what do you think of that #14

http://comics.heritagegalleries.com/comm...;hdnSearch=true

I don't see this one going too high, due to the tanish back cover and water spots on the top corner back cover.. still not too bad af a book, the front cover looks good though. and it's says it's the highest graded copy so far.

you know, there's a few things I don't understand about the logic of the grading system, and the acceptance of partial tanned covers / dust shadows is the biggest. To me, this is a major flaw that ruins the looks of the cover art. I'd much rather own a dust shadow-less copy with a piece missing from the back cover, or a spine split, or tape, or even a bit of hand writing in a corner than something where the looks of the cover are totally ruined (IMHO, of course) by something running right throught the artwork.

as to highest graded copy, clearly that's only because others haven't yet gotten thiers graded! Metro has a 7.5 on thier site, for one.

I might throw in a low bid if it looks available, but otherwise I'll pass.

sign-rantpost.gif

I agree with you there Matt, I've seen many high graded (8.0 and up) GA books, that have sun shadows and dark/dirty covers and back covers.

It appears to me that CGC does not downgrade for these defects, almost ignoring them, seems they are only concerned with rips, tears, spine stresses and color flecks...the grading doesn't seem to have any consistency to it..

CGC...the grading doesn't seem to have any consistency to it..

this pretty much sums up my views on CGC smile.gif

I think the key is to not hold the CGC label as the definitive grade all the time. The Action #14 for example I personally wouldn't grade more than a 4.0 due to the tanning, staining, & page quality. So, if I was interested in bidding I would take that into consideration.

It appears to me that CGC... grading doesn't seem to have any consistency to it..

1035423-lebowski-opinion.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif that's great, love that movie.

but you have to ask yourself, would you buy a CGC graded book sight unseen ?

I wouldn't. we all have different dislikes when it comes to defects, some may not mind the tanning of a book, while others would rather have a fresher looking copy with other defects such as staple tears, spine roll, etc.

overgraded, undergraded, noone is going to get it right 100% of the time.

I tend to agree with CGC's grading about 80% of the time.

It appears to me that CGC... grading doesn't seem to have any consistency to it..

I wouldn't. we all have different dislikes when it comes to defects, some may not mind the tanning of a book, while others would rather have a fresher looking copy with other defects such as staple tears, spine roll, etc.

All this means is that you don't have the same grading standards as CGC. It doesn't mean that CGC grades inconsistently.

All this means is that you don't have the same grading standards as CGC. It doesn't mean that CGC grades inconsistently.

Ok fine, forget I said anything, it's a 5.5 because CGC says so.. yeahok.gif

and these hardline grading standards can be found where ?? confused-smiley-013.gif

No one can determine CGC's consistency because no one knows their standards. How can you determine accurary or integrity without some baseline? Until their grading standards are revealed, people will have to continue "going with their gut" on whether or not CGC was right on a book's grade.

No one can determine CGC's consistency because no one knows their standards. How can you determine accurary or integrity without some baseline? Until their grading standards are revealed, people will have to continue "going with their gut" on whether or not CGC was right on a book's grade.

I was under the impression they went by overstreet grading standards? I still see some value to CGC in doing resto checks (should I?) and in being a decent guide to grading, but in the end you're paying for a book, not a grade. You have to make sure you like what you're buying.

Ok fine, forget I said anything, it's a 5.5 because CGC says so.. yeahok.gif

and these hardline grading standards can be found where ?? confused-smiley-013.gif

You are not understanding my meaning. I'm not saying they're right or you're right. I'm saying that the book may actually be a "CGC 5.5" according to CGC's standards, and just because you have a different interpretation of the FN- 5.5 grade doesn't mean that CGC is applying grades "inconsistently."

Inconsistency in grading means they'll give one book with a certain set of defects one grade, and another book with essentially the same set of defects a grade that is wildly different. You don't need to know their "standards" to see whether a CGC 5.5 was graded consistently with other CGC 5.5s. That is my point.