• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long is "normal" at U.S./Canada border?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I’ve made four round trips this year. Three at Niagara crossings and one in Northern NY going to Montreal. Invariably getting back into the US takes longer (5 minutes to 1 hour) than getting into Canada (5 minutes to 20 minutes). Ironic, huh?  Although if you have the luxury of choosing your travel times I highly recommend returning to the US across the rainbow bridge at 6 am. Very little wait and the added bonus of seeing the Horseshoe Falls.  Edit note to self -Don’t respond to threads on title alone. 

Edited by ThothAmon

On 11/13/2022 at 8:21 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’ve made four round trips this year. Three at Niagara crossings and one in Northern NY going to Montreal. Invariably getting back into the US takes longer (5 minutes to 1 hour) than getting into Canada (5 minutes to 20 minutes). Ironic, huh?  Although if you have the luxury of choosing your travel times I highly recommend returning to the US across the rainbow bridge at 6 am. Very little wait and the added bonus of seeing the Horseshoe Falls.  Edit note to self -Don’t respond to threads on title alone. 

True story

Crossing at Niagara close to midnight 

Guard says, How long?

I say, How long what?

He just keeps looking at me

I say, Bit of a personal question isnt it?

Stare continues 

I say, Oh you mean how long have I been in the states?

He nods 

I say, About 24 hours

Lets me through

Context : I drove continuously from Edmonton, AB crossed at Saskatchewan into ND, spent the night in Fargo, left 9am, drove to that border to get to St. Marys where my GF was by 2am

I will never do that again

On 11/13/2022 at 5:56 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

On a side note, I just drive across the Ambassador Bridge, my wife is from Detroit. Of course, when I purchase comic books from Roy he mails them to me.

I miss the ease of popping over to see a Tigers or Wings game. Oh well…

On 11/16/2022 at 8:27 PM, WilliamLunt said:

I think I asked the wrong question.

I should of asked 'what is the longest your comics have stayed in U.S. Customs?'

If anyone was curious, the books were held for 10 days. Not long in the grand scheme of things, but all my previous shipments were held for a day or so.

Two weeks