• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steranko at Marvel

30 posts in this topic

cool.gif996825-FF004.jpg

Man, looking at that Silver Surfer makes you wonder what Jim could have done with that character. The regal but sad look on his face is very, very well done. Gotta love the glimmer of light reflection he holds in his hand too, a really nice touch.

Jim is an incredible artist, i bought his fury's and love those fabulous covers he has done, but one of my prefers is cap 110 what a Hulk !! nobody has ever draw a so angry Hulk, shadows on Hulk are incredible.....

have a look on CBM 22 on Jim's work , this CBM is really interesting ,and you have everything on the man and the artist...

I suspect that once Steranko was noticed by the industry, one of two things happened: either he had been known to be unable to do a monthly book due to the amount of time he spent working on the pages, or he had priced himself out of the comic book industry. By 1970, Steranko was creating covers for science fiction novels and certainly was making more money there instead of comics.

Did DC ever make any offers to Steranko?

He was originally to have done the Shadow adaptation from 1973. Then Bernie Wrightson was to have been the artist. Finally, it went to a then-rookie by the name of Mike Kaluta.

Steranko did do a story for DC, a Superman tale for issue #400. But this was about 10 years after his ground-breaking Marvel stuff.