• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze, Silver Gold?????

28 posts in this topic

The new Overstreet has an article attempting to define the ages and readers can vote.

After the accepted Platinum/Gold/Atom/Silver/Bronze, they list the Copper Age (Crisis) 86 - 92(?), Chrome Age (Image starts) 92 - 2000, Modern Age 2000 up.

One thing that will not sit well though is the suggestion that the Bronze Age started with ASM #121 (1971)..........sigh.

I read that article and could only think - is someone smoking cow manure? And they want us to write them for opinions? I am really upsest that such an article could actually be published in a professional publication (as opposed to a fanzine). To paraphrase Ghostbusters, there postulations are "the worst kind of popular tripe". I am actually ticked off reading this drivel. There was either no research done or absolutely no knowledge on the part of the "writers". And it took TWO people to come up with this?

Absolute, complete and toal inanity - in my opinion. Man this burns me. mad.gif

There was either no research done or absolutely no knowledge on the part of the "writers". And it took TWO people to come up with this?

I totally agree with you. I picked out ASM #121 specifically, but the start dates for all their 'new' ages were pretty suspect.

I totally agree with you. I picked out ASM #121 specifically, but the start dates for all their 'new' ages were pretty suspect.

I tell you Blowout - I just re-reread this "article" gosh - was it ALMOST a page when you subtract the 1/2 page title and the sidebar?)

I really, honestly am very confused as to why this article would be worthy of being published. Maybe someone from Gemstone can answer the reasoning behind this but I have really thought about this and as a writer (well, I have written about 60 computer training manuals and some articles on film for film magazines) am kind of insulted that such a thing would appear professionally.

you know Gemstone has really bad editorial leadership lately. Look at CBM...its practically unreadable anymore. And I've never read the articles in Overstreet Guides. Market reports yes, but even those are already months old when it sees print.

The articles arent so much well-planned assigned research pieces designed to educate...but rather fanboy submission material. Very unprofessional. I think they figure "who cares...this is how we've done it for 30 years." I'm sure I'm exaggerating somewhat, but....

Many of the OS articles have been in-depth and well thought out. (I used to have OS from #3 through about 2000 - got rid of them when I THOUGHT I had stopped collecting ::kill me now::)

What I find especially upsetting about this article is that they are trying to create ages based on fluffy effluence. shocked.gifgrin.gif

when did you think you had stopped?

This is a sore point. A few years back when I got rid of my really nice and really big pre-code horror collection thinking I had totally lost interest. NOW my interest is greater than it ever was. I weep for my lot - and for the lots I got rid of! frown.gif

But I have to say, even at today's prices, it is DARNED fun to re-acquire! grin.gif