• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The grade is in: Detective Comics 359 (staples replaced?)
2 2

21 posts in this topic

All -- Noobie question here:  It looks like this book that I picked up has new staples put into the back of the book that protrude through the front (see photos). 

Based upon the overall condition of the book and these new staples what type of grade am I look at here?  Would there be any benefit to professionally C&Ping this book or is an at-home press the way to go with this book in its condition? 

Thanks for the input. 

IMG-6220.thumb.jpg.e66107c42108be6b9337b71ce20ab817.jpgIMG-6219.thumb.jpg.82eb009360b9beabcad27faadc3eb0c2.jpgIMG-6223.thumb.jpg.0445861c47959b38474a9ee894d02b97.jpgIMG-6222.thumb.jpg.b894277d9e90245573cea0fb63333162.jpgIMG-6221.thumb.jpg.86670e33a0c9bcaf700f0b85dcca402c.jpg

Edited by travizb

I'm not sure -- it does look like both original staples are present (one of the photos above shows the top bind staple, the bottom staple I did not post a picture of).  I'm tempted to remove the two staples punched from the back of the book.  Thoughts on whether this is worth it or not? 

I think the book is about a 3.0/3.5. a cleaning might help out the grade a little; a press maybe not so much. The staples won't effect the grade further in this range. I'd probably remove them. If the cover or any wraps are detached then that may lower the grade a little.

Thanks for posting.

On 12/13/2022 at 2:39 PM, grendelbo said:

I think the book is about a 3.0/3.5. a cleaning might help out the grade a little; a press maybe not so much. The staples won't effect the grade further in this range. I'd probably remove them. If the cover or any wraps are detached then that may lower the grade a little.

Thanks for posting.

@grendelbo Thanks for this feedback.  Removing those staples made the book more presentable and it did not impact the grade as you suggested.