• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why call it the Modern Age?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2022 at 12:50 PM, Ryan. said:

If someone says, "I am interested in selling a collection. It's mostly Modern." That could mean anything. If they say, "It's mostly 90s and early 2000s" then it's much clearer.

I'd jump on the "mostly Modern" . . . :sumo:

On 12/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, 500Club said:
On 12/16/2022 at 10:18 AM, OtherEric said:

For an age to break off from modern, there first needs to be a clear break point from the current age.  And I"m not sure there's really a clear point the last couple decades where that happens.  I do think Copper should be extended out to about 2000, though, but that's just me.

To me, there’s a dead period between the end of the Copper Age (early 90’s) to the early 2000’s when Ultimate Spider-Man got going, that feels like its own age.

Perhaps, but they're never going to leave it up to us to decide. :peace:

On 12/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, 500Club said:

To me, there’s a dead period between the end of the Copper Age (early 90’s) to the early 2000’s when Ultimate Spider-Man got going, that feels like its own age.

I agree with this. I'd call the decade that began with the founding of Image Comics the "Gimmick Age", and then consider everything from 2000 up the Modern Age (at least through the end of this current decade), but I suppose it's just easier to say "90's comics" for that unfortunate era, the same way saying "90s sport cards" immediately brings to mind the wildly overproduced, mostly garbage cards of that span.  

On 12/20/2022 at 3:19 PM, jdandns said:

I agree with this. I'd call the decade that began with the founding of Image Comics the "Gimmick Age", and then consider everything from 2000 up the Modern Age (at least through the end of this current decade), but I suppose it's just easier to say "90's comics" for that unfortunate era, the same way saying "90s sport cards" immediately brings to mind the wildly overproduced, mostly garbage cards of that span.  

Exactly, just like "80s music" brings to mind Duran Duran, the Material Girl, and Thriller. 

There are "connoisseurs" who will never accept that their favorite subdivision of a particular genre within a decade isn't given a nomen extraordinarius, but those people are glutei maximi.

:shy:

1990s comics, 1990s music, 1990s cards, forget the periodic table.