• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Chipping?

28 posts in this topic

Cool. thumbsup2.gif

FWIW, I much agree with your original points about the book, Weird...I too would have been quite disappointed to discover the problems on the back, regardless of the book's grade (and the CGC grade of 8.0 is pretty astonishing to me too). Is it safe to assume that your seller didn't disclose the problems, and that there was no back cover scan provided?

The tear should have been disclosed, no question, even if it is in a slab. thumbsup2.gif

When you get a large single defect on an otherwise nice book, grading becomes extremely difficult. I have (and posted) a Vampire Tales annual with a 1" spine split. The rest of the book was perfect and people's grades were all over the place on that one. The OGG isn't set up to grade books with a single glaring flaw. As a result, the grade really does come down to subjective opinion.

When you get a large single defect on an otherwise nice book, grading becomes extremely difficult. I have (and posted) a Vampire Tales annual with a 1" spine split. The rest of the book was perfect and people's grades were all over the place on that one. The OGG isn't set up to grade books with a single glaring flaw. As a result, the grade really does come down to subjective opinion.

Not that I think it applies in this case Andy, but the scenario outlined above is exactly why I'm a big proponent of the Qualified grade...more information is better! thumbsup2.gif

Not that I think it applies in this case Andy, but the scenario outlined above is exactly why I'm a big proponent of the Qualified grade...more information is better! thumbsup2.gif

I agree with you and I have no problem with the green label. I like it in fact, as it forces the buyer to think past the number on the label and make their own final grade determination. 893applaud-thumb.gif

When you get a large single defect on an otherwise nice book, grading becomes extremely difficult . . . The OGG isn't set up to grade books with a single glaring flaw. As a result, the grade really does come down to subjective opinion.

Kind of like a gorgeous woman with a BIG nose 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

stooges.gif Ok, Ok - I couldn't resist confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen those types of tears (and the tear on the squarebound) on many books, so they're both definitely production-related. On the B&B, that books sure looks a lot nicer than an 8.0, so it appears CGC did downgrade for those tears. They're pretty extreme, production or no!

Agreed on all counts.

I've seen it on every era of book SA onwards, thought they may have been on GA books (i have only owned to GA books ever)....still, i think the severity of the pre chipping is what dictates the grade...we had a discussion about this last winter and a bunch of guys ganged up saying this was not pre-chipping...call it what you will (Marvel pre-chipping, DC pre-chipping) it's all the same thing... sumo.gif

A rose by any other name would .

....whither and die

Which one is Shakespeare? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Juliet.

O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo

Deny thy father and refuse thy name;

Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,

And I'll no longer be a Capulet.

Romeo.

[Aside.] Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?

Juliet.

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;--

Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.

What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,

Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part

Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!

What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;

So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,

Retain that dear perfection which he owes

Without that title:--Romeo, doff thy name;

And for that name, which is no part of thee,

Take all myself.

Romeo.

I take thee at thy word:

Call me but love, and I'll be new baptiz'd;

Henceforth I never will be Romeo.

Juliet.

What man art thou that, thus bescreen'd in night,

So stumblest on my counsel?

Romeo.

By a name

I know not how to tell thee who I am:

My name, dear saint, is hateful to myself,

Because it is an enemy to thee.

Had I it written, I would tear the word.

Juliet.

My ears have yet not drunk a hundred words

Of that tongue's utterance, yet I know the sound;

Art thou not Romeo, and a Montague?

Romeo.

Neither, fair saint, if either thee dislike.