• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Hulk 181 (sub- CGC 9.0-9.2) Dying?

77 posts in this topic

The other item that people frequently don't realize is that Hulk 184 has the letters page discussing the first wolverine appearance, and another early picture of wolverine.

Likely the 4th appearance. Just not in the story, but the letters page makes it interesting.

With that degree of rudeness and disrespect, I see no reason to talk to you about that or any other issue.

Arnold, you have some very nice books going for you, but i prefer a quote from an even better book...should kinda sum it up for Joe Collector.....from one JC to the other...."Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".... tongue.gif

The good news is the value stamp is still there.

I'd take a restored reader without the stamp. smile.gif I just want the issue to complete the run. If wishes were fishes, though, as the saying goes....

Ditto. The value of the 181 has actually dissuaded me from going after the Hulk run more than half-heartedly. There's a long list of books I'd rather spend big money on than this one.

. . . it makes a lot of sense to resub; this book especially.

If a 9.0 sells or $750 and a 9.2 sells for $1200, you can justify sending in a 9.0 five times.

Unless of course, you did get a 9.2 when everyone thought 8.5 was a reach . . . devil.gif

27_laughing.gif

Or you received a 8.0 when you thought it was a 9.0 or higher. devil.gif

. . . it makes a lot of sense to resub; this book especially.

If a 9.0 sells or $750 and a 9.2 sells for $1200, you can justify sending in a 9.0 five times.

Unless of course, you did get a 9.2 when everyone thought 8.5 was a reach . . . devil.gif

27_laughing.gif

Or you received a 8.0 when you thought it was a 9.0 or higher. devil.gif

You must have the wrong guy poke2.gif or your facts mixed up (as usual) poke2.gifpoke2.gif

And, au contraire, the latter example is the perfect re-sub candidate 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

it just introduces probably the second most popular character besides spider-man.

Unfortunately you're in the wrong boards if you want to talk about bronze/modern characters. 95% of these guys only care about what happened prior to 1968. I think some of them still believe that its 1965. They can't get over several ideas, including the inevitability of change. screwy.gif

If you ask me, they just love their silver age books because they're worth more. foreheadslap.gif

OK Einstein, tell me a character, other than Venom, that's truly worthy of being placed with the pantheon of Silver Marvel characters since 1988? screwy.gif

Jim

Who said I was talking about key characters?

Not only is Wolverine a key character but the cover to 181 is one of the best from the 70's, similar to Spidey 129. The surrounding covers on both titles were just horrible and then you have these two which are classics in their own right.

I actually think the covers to these two aren't that great. I think it's with hindsight, that many have made them "great". confused-smiley-013.gif

Is it Nostrodomus or a Stan Lee Ghost letter plugging the new X-men that he knew was coming out in a few months.

That's EXACTLY what I thought when I read that. Too much like an overt PR (not only plugging the New X-Men but Starlin's Warlock as well) to be an innocent reader letter.

Is that image of Wolverine in the letters page an exact repro from 181 or is it additional. If its original it would mean something to a diehard wolverine collector but if its just a reprint then who would really care.

It is a panel reprint, but interesting nonetheless and worthy of noting in Overstreet in my opinion? It's not like this was a reprint panel in every issue that month or for multiple issues like you'd see advertising an upcoming character. Technically, this is the 4th time you'd see the wolverine image in any marvel comics. The letters about his first appearance are what I find interesting.

It would be interesting if anyone knew the original letter writer...or if someone in the bullpen knew if it was a Stan Lee forgery.

I just wanted people to see the panels and read the letters. I don't expect any value increases in the book. There's nothing else special about issue 184.