• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colour breaking crease on an otherwise nm book
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Curious about the effect of a colour breaking crease on an otherwise 9.something book (top right obviously) - not sure if this is the right place to post this, but would welcome thoughts on what a potential grade might be - this is less about the actual example than about how big a ding the grade would get with the crease.  Looking at the CGC guide to grading comics, I would think maybe an 8-8.5, but honestly am curious as to what the reality is. Many thanks!

Panda2

865915200_asm361.thumb.jpeg.d24cab1a83abbf567f85ac7ee066de46.jpeg

On 1/3/2023 at 2:18 PM, Panda2 said:

Hi everyone,

.... not sure if this is the right place to post this, but .....

Perfect place to post this.... I understand you're looking for an opinion regarding just the top right color break, which is fine, but adding photos of the back as well would help get opinions of an overall grade since the grade involves the condition of the entire book. The more issues, the less impact that top corner will have on the overall grade.

Edited by jokiing

IMO, on a good day, it might go as high as 9.0 if the rest of the book were 'perfect'... but on the spine, the area around the top staple looks a touch worn, plus there's a few spine ticks. As jokiing says, we'd need to see the back... but from what we see, 8.0/8.5 range feels about right to me. Still a nice book, but not one I'd slab.

Some discolouration towards base of spine. Like to see how that plays out on the back. Taken in isolation, one 'clean' crease like that on an otherwise flawless comic, I can see being a 9.0 but this is in the realms of the hypothetical since no comic is really flawless. 

(Edit: Just visited a site that shows the back cover and the advert is printed in that tan colour, so :whistle: I take it back.)

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Questions like this belong more in this forum:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/27-comic-book-grading-and-restoration-issues/

Here in PGM we prefer at minimum front and back cover pics for a grade estimate.

However, the boardies above are spot on. Were everything perfect, a corner color-breaking crease similar to what's shown would likely garner an 8.5/9.0. 

But as mentioned already, this book has a few other flaws and before seeing back cover pics it's likely an 8.0/8.5.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by grendelbo