• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk 181 (again)
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I have an old slab - notes from the grader are:

Front Cover Multiple Crease
Front Cover Wear
Left Top Back Cover Crease
Right Top Front Cover Dent Breaks Color
Spine Stress Lines

I wouldn't normally remove a book from a slab, but I got to thinking it might present better or perhaps get a higher grade if I had some clean and press love done to it.

Wondering if you think pressing and/or cleaning this might help increase eye appeal or perhaps the grade? In hand the wear near hulks elbow and right leg do not look improvable.

Please let me know your thoughts on the grade too? I cut off the slab grade on purpose so it would not influence the talk. If this posting is somehow incorrect or I have broken the rules, please let me know. 

Thank you in advance.

Back W v H.JPG

Front W v H.JPG

On 1/12/2023 at 9:54 PM, Bayowolf said:

Ditto. Also if that is dirt along spine on BC that can be cleaned. Was this an 8.0 or better?

Thank you mephistopheles and Bayowolf for weighing in. I was hoping so on the creases, and the back does look like it would clean up to me too. Compared to other books from this era in this condition I too thought the grading was super strict, perhaps it was due to when it was graded, it was graded in early 2009. 

The corner blunting and color breaking wear to the right edge of the front cover will keep this from being an 8.0. However, I’m more concerned with the color breaking crease along the left side of the back cover. CGC is pretty severe with these types of long color breaking creases. This book will clean up nicely with a C&P but I can’t see it getting any higher than a 7.0 (IMHO). Still a nice copy of THE bronze grail of grails. Thanks for sharing.

Nilo2, joeypost, FoggyNelson, thank you for taking the time to weigh in.

From all the comments I feel good about giving C&P a try on this one. I will circle back to post the results once I have it graded.

On 1/16/2023 at 10:46 AM, joeypost said:

A lot has to do with whoever does the C&P. 

Totally agree with @joeypost. If the OP is willing to spend a little more time and money, an independent C&P pro would be the best way to go with this book. Nothing wrong with CCS but, in my opinion, they don't always spend a lot of time on a book.