• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRADE IS IN Avengers #4
3 3

31 posts in this topic

For the record, here is evidence that the inset box actually is complete on a cooperatively-cut cover (from this Conserved 8.0 ebay listing)

image.png.2f7f69e25aa2d9d347b9e0b9e1ee75d3.png

And here is an example of a copy shifted to the right such that the inset box is clipped by the cover margin. This one is shifted further right than the book in this thread, but the idea is the same. Note that the cut edge of the inset is clean and vertical, because it is literally the cover margin -- unlike the 7.0 slab above, where the edge of the inset cut is somewhat ragged and is angled diagonally away from the margin.

image.png.92e0e7e20afa905bceedf6a1d497c011.png

• Administrator

Here is what I was told:

what I’m seeing is a marvel chip out of the right corner of the purple subby box, and the long chip below that is actually a marvel tear. That paper was always present but was pressed flat. The interior pages fan out a bit to the right, likely from pressing the book flat. The image makes everything look white and blended together, but I think it looks the same after grading as it did before pressing.

Nothing here seems out of place. Several of the high value team graded this book, so I doubt we missed anything.

On 5/28/2024 at 10:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

Here is what I was told:

what I’m seeing is a marvel chip out of the right corner of the purple subby box, and the long chip below that is actually a marvel tear. That paper was always present but was pressed flat. The interior pages fan out a bit to the right, likely from pressing the book flat. The image makes everything look white and blended together, but I think it looks the same after grading as it did before pressing.

Nothing here seems out of place. Several of the high value team graded this book, so I doubt we missed anything.

I admire your ability to deliver that message with a straight face. There's nothing to see here, folks. Move along. 

On 5/28/2024 at 12:54 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here is what I was told:

I mean, they're the experts right? I assume the story is that this JIM 83 triangular piece was just folded under initially, that this ASM 50 tear is just impossible to see due to the lighting conditions of your imaging (and not listed in the notes), and this ASM 129 spine damage just lines up really well with the slab edge even though I don't think it should?

CGC's explanation -- that the extra width observed (with a slightly different tone) is actually interior paper that was squeezed beyond the cover as a result of pressing -- makes sense to me.  (thumbsu  There's a limit to what can be discerned from a low-res scan.  Many thanks @CGC Mike for resolving this so quickly.  :foryou:  (worship)

On 5/28/2024 at 12:23 PM, Qalyar said:

But the race between efforts to detect restoration and efforts to make condition manipulation undetectable doesn't have a finish line.

:applause:

On 5/27/2024 at 9:03 PM, KCOComics said:

Who did the press? CCS? 

It does look like a totally different book. It's obviously not, but the press took away a lot of defects. 

Comic doctor did all my CNPs.

Thanks Mike for clearing that up. Sorry if my initial images were of poor quality.