• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC1 rocket copy in the news again

65 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2023 at 9:51 PM, Professor K said:

Yep.

3,180,000. I'm guesing sales tax couldn't be evaded so about another 200,000. It cost about 3.4 million the first time. The article says Goldin sold it again for 3.4 million which I don't even remember., if taxed thats about 3.65 million. So I guess the first buyer dished out all that dough just to make Goldin some money a few months later. Now sold for 3.55 minus commission, no profit there again. I don't know what's going on. Why do these people even bid it up and buy it in the first place if they're just gonna sell it a few months later at a loss. (shrug)

When you're buying something that expensive it seems sensible to spend the money to have a resale number and treat it as an investment (and how hard is it to justify that a 3.5mil comic appreciating at that rate is meant as an investment?  Even if you have to pay your accountant to fill out quarterly forms for that account, it would take a long time before those espenses outpace the several hundred grand you save in taxes.

Like this Rocket copy of the Action Comics 1, interesting to note that Goldin also had his mitts in on the Rally sale of the Larson Bat 1 for $2M:  hm

On 1/28/2023 at 7:49 PM, Kryptic1 said:

A few things to add here:

1. Rally’s SEC filings list the owners of at least 10% of any item.  Their latest filing shows that the owner of the retained equity for the Batman #1 is….Ken Goldin.  So either he won his own auction or he bought the book from the auction winner before the transaction with Rally.

2. The IPO ended with about 30% of the shares unsold, and Rally bought the remainder.  So Rally & Goldin own half of the book and individual shareholders own the other half.

Any chance that Goldin in conjunction with both Metro for the Rocket Action 1 and then also with Rally  for the Larson Batman 1 managed to offload both of these books to the same tech Golden Buyer here?  (shrug)

On 1/29/2023 at 10:46 AM, lou_fine said:

Like this Rocket copy of the Action Comics 1, interesting to note that Goldin also had his mitts in on the Rally sale of the Larson Bat 1 for $2M:  hm

Any chance that Goldin in conjunction with both Metro for the Rocket Action 1 and then also with Rally  for the Larson Batman 1 managed to offload both of these books to the same tech Golden Buyer here?  (shrug)

You think the buyer was Elon Musk?

On 1/29/2023 at 10:30 PM, mrd160 said:

All this talk about “tech guys” buying these multi-million dollar books. These young tech dudes live their whole lives online. Every time they even pass gas, they post it on social media. We would have seen at least 1 of them flexing on IG. One of the Paul brother, Logan I think, walks around with a million dollar Pokémon card around his neck. These dudes aren’t subtle and are not buying this stuff.  Hate to say it but comics are for old f@#%$ like myself. 

There’s a great deal of fiction in this hobby. I’m still wondering why this book wasn’t put up for auction?

On 1/29/2023 at 7:30 PM, mrd160 said:

All this talk about “tech guys” buying these multi-million dollar books. These young tech dudes live their whole lives online. Every time they even pass gas, they post it on social media. We would have seen at least 1 of them flexing on IG. One of the Paul brother, Logan I think, walks around with a million dollar Pokémon card around his neck. These dudes aren’t subtle and are not buying this stuff.  Hate to say it but comics are for old f@#%$ like myself. 

So, I guess you are saying that Vinnie is telling us a big fib then and nothing more than BS in an attempt to hype the market on these books: hm (shrug)

On 1/25/2023 at 11:47 PM, lou_fine said:

The buyer, a prominent figure in the tech industry, is choosing to remain anonymous.

“As a kid, I’ve always dreamed of getting an Action Comics #1 someday and I’m so excited to get one in a great grade,” he said.

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/30/2023 at 10:43 AM, lou_fine said:

So, I guess you are saying that Vinnie is telling us a big fib then and nothing more than BS in an attempt to hype the market on these books: hm (shrug)

I didn’t see that, the statement said it was in fact a “tech guy” I was commenting on the responses in the thread really. hey, maybe there is an old tech guy that hates the spot light….(shrug) 

Edited by mrd160

On 1/30/2023 at 8:00 AM, mrd160 said:

I didn’t see that, the statement said it was in fact a “tech guy” I was commenting on the responses in the thread really. hey, maybe there is an old tech guy that hates the spot light….(shrug) 

You mean old tech guys like Gates, Allen, and Wozniak.  hm

Well, I highly doubt Gates would be interested, but just maybe Paul Allen although he's busy with his sports teams, and then Wozniak is definitely so low profile you really never hear much about him anymore.  (shrug)

As for somebody like Ronald Wayne, definitely too poor after selling his Founder's share of Apple back to Jobs and Wozniak for only $800.  doh!  :cry:

Can't be Elon or else you would see him come out dressed in his Superman suit and cape or with his Bat cowl going into his Batmobile.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/30/2023 at 4:26 AM, bronze johnny said:

There’s a great deal of fiction in this hobby. I’m still wondering why this book wasn’t put up for auction?

Well, an auction is a bit of a risk as it requires two willing parties to bid it up to your desired amount.  That is, unless one of the "bidding parties" is named Halperin.  lol

A private sale is less of a risk, but requires the dealer to use their connections in the marketplace and work their butts off to find that ONE BUYER who is willing to give them the desired price that they want.  (thumbsu 

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/30/2023 at 11:00 AM, mrd160 said:

I agree the people buying these things are low key no matter where their money came from. And their are a lot of "tech guys" who are very rich but not well known, at least in the shoved in our faces everywhere we look sense of the word. Could be anyone, or anyone with a 9 or 10 figure bank account.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Can't be Elon or else you would see him come out dressed in his Superman suit and cape or with his Bat cowl going into his Batmobile.  lol

An ELECTRIC Batmobile...:wink:

On 1/30/2023 at 3:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, an auction is a bit of a risk as it requires two willing parties to bid it up to your desired amount.  That is, unless one of the "bidding parties" is named Halperin.  lol

A private sale is less of a risk, but requires the dealer to use their connections in the marketplace and work their butts off to find that ONE BUYER who is willing to give them the desired price that they want.  (thumbsu 

That’s why we have reserves for auctions(thumbsu

On 1/30/2023 at 1:27 PM, bronze johnny said:

That’s why we have reserves for auctions(thumbsu

Yes, although that would certainly work in theory, but as we all know in the real world, reserves for some reason tends to be a big turnoff for a lot of potential bidders.  :p

So much so that a large majority of them won't even bother bidding, and in fact, would dismiss that particular auction lot entirely.  :(

On 1/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, although that would certainly work in theory, but as we all know in the real world, reserves for some reason tends to be a big turnoff for a lot of potential bidders.  :p

So much so that a large majority of them won't even bother bidding, and in fact, would dismiss that particular auction lot entirely.  :(

Disagree. Reserve auctions have their place. I’ve bid on books with reserves and have no problem with it. Depends how bad you want a book bad. Setting a reserve only takes two tech titans to bid when it comes to Action Comics 1. 

On 1/30/2023 at 3:04 PM, lou_fine said:

You mean old tech guys like Gates, Allen, and Wozniak.  hm

Well, I highly doubt Gates would be interested, but just maybe Paul Allen although he's busy with his sports teams, and then Wozniak is definitely so low profile you really never hear much about him anymore.  (shrug)

As for somebody like Ronald Wayne, definitely too poor after selling his Founder's share of Apple back to Jobs and Wozniak for only $800.  doh!  :cry:

To Tim's point, Paul Allen passed away.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:26 AM, bronze johnny said:

Its not a stretch to think that a seller would be willing to sell only if they can guarantee they won't incur a loss.     I'm not saying that's what happened or not, but its perfectly plausible.