• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age, or Silver Age...
1 1

24 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2023 at 12:25 PM, MrBedrock said:

But the older collectors I knew always pointed to Showcase 4 as the book that changed things for them.

I'm just speculating since I wasn't there at the time, but I wonder if part of the adoption of the Silver Age terminology was its usefulness for fans to distinguish between which Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, etc. they were talking about?  "Did ya mean the Golden Age Flash, or the Silver Age Flash?"  "Yer selling a GL #7, is that the Golden Age series, or the Silver?"   

If so, then it would be fairly natural to date the beginning of the Silver Age to the introduction of the first character that needed that point of differentiation.  hm

On 2/13/2023 at 9:24 PM, october said:

I am sure I am all alone on this, but I always saw the CCA as the end of Gold/Atomic and the start of Silver. I can't look at ANY comic with a CCA stamp and think "Atomic Age". It's the antithesis of everything that made the age so cool. So early 1955 as the dividing line for me. 

I share this same opinion 100%.