• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Collection From A New Guy

35 posts in this topic

I asked if it was okay to post here and Adamantium said it would be okay to do so, so here goes...

I bought a collection of Marvel Star Wars from my wife's uncle.  He collected a lot of Star Wars memorabilia and he's getting older and didn't want to go through the process of selling his comic books.  The collection is almost complete with annuals and a few duplicates.  From here, I'll copy/paste what I wrote in the Noob thread.

STAR WARS! 
Okay, I'm new to this, as stated above.  I have just about all of the STAR WARS comics from 1977 - 198_  
I just received 4 back from CGC today and I want to start selling and using the money to send more to get graded, repeat.

What's the best way to go about selling them?  CGC forum then eBay or Comicbookshop or whatever it's called?
Here's what I got back...
Star Wars #1 30¢ White pages 8.0

#42 50¢ Off-White to White Pages 8.0

#107 75¢ Off-White to White Pages 6.0

#4 35¢ Variant Off-White to White Pages 9.2 signed by Rick Hoberg 

From what I've gathered, the #4 is worth a pretty penny and the others may be in the $200 - $400 range.  Is that about right?

Any help would be appreciated.  Hit me with anything you got from advice to questions and thank you in advance!

Maybe one of you can answer a question about the #4 35¢ issue.  It's not the News Stand issue.  It's listed as multi-pack and hit has the diamond and no UPC.  I've seen copies that look like it listed as reprints but, CGC says it's a Multi-Pack edition.  I've seen some call them Whitmans and I gather that's a whole other kettle of fish. 
What gives?

On 2/21/2023 at 4:35 PM, V.Kevin said:

Maybe one of you can answer a question about the #4 35¢ issue.  It's not the News Stand issue.  It's listed as multi-pack and hit has the diamond and no UPC.  I've seen copies that look like it listed as reprints but, CGC says it's a Multi-Pack edition.  I've seen some call them Whitmans and I gather that's a whole other kettle of fish. 
What gives?

Multi-Pack edition is the PC term.  Many collectors call issues such as you've described as Whitmans because they've been solely documented as being distributed by Whitman. There are #4s that are first prints, and others marked as Reprint. Does your say Reprint along the spine next to the Luke?  I would guess not, or that would probably be indicated on your CGC label.

272964326_marvel3packwhitmanstarwars4561stPrint6Reprint45-f.thumb.jpg.1137adb588ec99006b28aec1931ab840.jpgs-l1600.jpg.5e6881a71a65d14a2f9bfdd6fb90e510.jpg

On 2/21/2023 at 6:25 PM, Warlord said:

Multi-Pack edition is the PC term.  Many collectors call issues such as you've described as Whitmans because they've been solely documented as being distributed by Whitman. There are #4s that are first prints, and others marked as Reprint. Does your say Reprint along the spine next to the Luke?  I would guess not, or that would probably be indicated on your CGC label.

272964326_marvel3packwhitmanstarwars4561stPrint6Reprint45-f.thumb.jpg.1137adb588ec99006b28aec1931ab840.jpgs-l1600.jpg.5e6881a71a65d14a2f9bfdd6fb90e510.jpg

It definitely does not say Reprint.  It looks like the comic on the right.  What would that mean?  
CGC census states they've graded 5 total.  I'd like to think that means it's a very rare grail but I don't know.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:55 AM, Pizza Boy said:

It is small, hard to see, and unobtrusive, so maybe a 9.6 without it?

I may be totally off base but, I think the graders don't mark down for an autograph but, they won't authenticate it unless it was signed at a CGC event in the presence of an official who gives a cert of authenticity of something like that.

On 2/22/2023 at 10:00 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Or maybe CGC just missed it entirely....being “hard to see”. That would explain the absence of a label note.

* I had to google Rick Hoberg:shy:

They seent it and know that Rick Hoberg is the cover artist.  They just won't authenticate it as a legit signature.

Grader Notes
light bends to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light writing top of front cover

On 2/22/2023 at 1:03 PM, V.Kevin said:

They seent it and know that Rick Hoberg is the cover artist.  They just won't authenticate it as a legit signature.

Grader Notes
light bends to cover
light spine stress lines to cover
light writing top of front cover

Thanks.  Ignoring the writing, do you think the book would be a 9.6?

On 2/22/2023 at 10:18 AM, Pizza Boy said:

For an autograph they do, actually. You got lucky, most books like this usually get a Green label unless you specifically ask for a Blue. If you ask for a Blue, the autograph is considered damage and the grade is dinged according to the size and position of the signature.

Question:  If I sell it as an autographed copy by the cover artist, would that add any value or none at all?

On 2/22/2023 at 1:30 PM, V.Kevin said:

Question:  If I sell it as an autographed copy by the cover artist, would that add any value or none at all?

No way to definitively say, but in this case any difference is likley negligible.  Still IMHO be honest and mention it.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/22/2023 at 2:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

No way to definitively say, but in this case any difference is likley negligible.  Still IMHO be honest and mention it.

Makes sense.  If not mentioned, they'd be like, "Why didn't you say something!!"