• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do -- foxing on Marvel Mystery book
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Can it be fixed? Yes there are ways. But from what I know, they are expensive (if done by someone who has experience) and as has been mentioned, is becoming more and more detectable.

I mean, imagine CGC got this book after it had the foxing removed. Those spots would be very white and compared to the rest of the book (the tears at the staple as seen, the piece missing at the bottom of the spine and the likely general wear the front and back covers show), and it would look very out of place, hence why this is starting to be caught and rightfully labelled as such.

Now I know there are people who think that pressing and even dry cleaning should be labelled as restoration but I think that if you found any old collectible item of value (a car, or an old vintage toy) and all it needed was a good bath to make it look new, I don't think that changes it. The pressing aspect does but that is because paper is a unique material where it is malleable and can be returned to original/almost original form without any detriment (that we know of) to the comic.

Peroxide and other such methods like UV baths and the like....talk to me in 15-20 years. Maybe those comics are fine....maybe they very much are not.