• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy starring Daisy Ridley (TBD)

72 posts in this topic

On 1/5/2024 at 12:58 AM, AGGIEZ said:

Sadly she's alienating 99% of her audience with these comments and shrinking the viewing audience for her movie before it's even released... 

You’re absolutely right.

What an inane strategy to come out and be confrontational when all that is required is to show some measure of respect or love for the property.

I was merely speaking to the hope that a good movie might be made.

"We're in 2024. It's about time we have a woman shape a story in a galaxy far, far away."  

Why? Why does that matter? How about it’s 2024 let’s make the best Star Wars movie yet?  Maybe in 2025 we can reshape Spiderman based on an Indigenous tribe from a South American country. 

On 1/5/2024 at 9:22 AM, CAHokie said:

"We're in 2024. It's about time we have a woman shape a story in a galaxy far, far away."  

Is this a direct quote from her? If so, it’s ignorant to what has transpired in cannon. If it wasn’t for Mon Mothma, there would have been no consolidated rebellion effort to take on the Empire. Sidiouis, Vader, and the Empire would have likely been in power indefinitely had it not been for her. She shaped one of the biggest events in the Star Wars universe. While, yes, we haven’t had a Mon Mothma show, but Rebels touched on this and we are seeing the beginnings of her efforts in Andor. 

Ahsoka has been a driving force in the SWU during the CW, rebellion as Fulcrum, and New Republic Era trying to stop Thrawn and possibly the First Order. 

Rey could be a compelling character if she’s given a competent writer and director with a cohesive vision. I have hope, but saying stuff like what you quoted smacks of insincerity and unfamiliarity with the property. 

A better choice of words would have been - I’m excited to continue Rey’s story as she follows in the footsteps of strong female leaders like Mon Mothma, Leia Organa, and Ahsoka Tano while also blazing a new path for herself and the Jedi Order. 

Probably would be met with a level of toxicity as well, but it wouldn’t sound so ignorant. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/5/2024 at 7:22 AM, CAHokie said:

Why? Why does that matter? How about it’s 2024 let’s make the best Star Wars movie yet?  Maybe in 2025 we can reshape Spiderman based on an Indigenous tribe from a South American country. 

I agree. Disney continues to make the same mistakes: No one cares about the gender, the sexual orientation, the pronouns or ideologies/religion of any of the creators, directors or actors involved in the projects.

Edited by Artboy99

On 1/5/2024 at 10:17 AM, CAHokie said:

Direct quote on CNN interview about Star Wars and her being the first woman and person of color to direct it.

Thanks. First movie, I guess, so it gets flashy headlines. Deborah Chow directed all episodes of Kenobi in addition to the Mando episodes.

BDH has directed some of my favorite Mando episodes. 

It really is just tiring at this point. I’ll watch the movie because I love Star Wars, but Iiking it is a different story.

There’s a lot of cool directions they could take reestablishing the Jedi Order and the role of the Jedi and their relationship with the Force, and I hope Filoni has a hand in guiding that. I think Luke stuck too closely to the ideology of the Clone Wars era Jedi, who some could argue failed the Order, and is why he ultimately failed. 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:18 PM, Savoyard23 said:

I'll skip this one.

Likewise.  I'm already bored and completely disinterested, so a threat of discomfort's already irrelevant to the situation, speaking as the owner of a Y chromosome as well.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

In fairness, she said the "make men uncomfortable" statement 8 years ago and it wasn't about Star Wars. That said, the statement "We're in 2024. It's about time we have a woman shape a story in a galaxy far, far away"  that is recent and specifically about Star Wars and yeah I will skip it.

Edited by Artboy99

Radical idea!!  It is OK to have movies and IPs that are made for a specific groups or demographics.  Star Wars and the MCU were primarily  targeted at men and men loved them.  Some women loved them as a plus. Barbie was made for women, and they loved it, even some men liked it.  See how that works?  Make a good movie and it makes money.  Even those typically outside the target group, may still like it.

Stop trying to twist and change existing IP's from who they were developed to appeal too. It does not work in most cases.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:04 PM, Artboy99 said:

In fairness, she said the "make men uncomfortable" statement 8 years ago and it wasn't about Star Wars. That said, the statement "We're in 2024. It's about time we have a woman shape a story in a galaxy far, far away"  that is recent and specifically about Star Wars and yeah I will skip it.

And what do we tell all the women who have already helped to shape Star Wars?

On 1/9/2024 at 12:05 PM, drotto said:

Radical idea!!  It is OK to have movies and IPs that are made for a specific groups or demographics.  Star Wars and the MCU were primarily  targeted at men and men loved them.  Some women loved them as a plus. Barbie was made for women, and they loved it, even some men liked it.  See how that works?  Make a good movie and it makes money.  Even those typically outside the target group, may still like it.

Stop trying to twist and change existing IP's from who they were developed to appeal too. It does not work in most cases.

Exactly. 

Imagine some doofus getting handed the reins of the original Sigourney Weaver Alien franchise, and coming out saying his goal is to "make women uncomfortable"

Where the hell do these people even come from???

Rey movie looks like it is being pushed back, and may have lost its expected release date in December 2025. A John Favreau directed and produced Mandolorian and Grogu movies has just been announced and pushed to the forefront, as the next Star Wars movie. 

Reaction to the bad press last week?

On 1/10/2024 at 1:19 PM, drotto said:

Rey movie looks like it is being pushed back, and may have lost its expected release date in December 2025. A John Favreau directed and produced Mandolorian and Grogu movies has just been announced and pushed to the forefront, as the next Star Wars movie. 

Reaction to the bad press last week?

Again, at this point if Disney wants to succeed they need to do a full media blackout on new films and only release teasers and trailers. 

On 1/12/2024 at 11:56 AM, CAHokie said:

Again, at this point if Disney wants to succeed they need to do a full media blackout on new films and only release teasers and trailers. 

It looks like the next Star Wars movies are going to be Favreau's Mando movie and Filoni's movie. Both of them tend to stick to the script, especially Favreau.