• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PS2 Video Game Counterfeit? Knockoff?

5 posts in this topic

I just got my first video game submission back and they are saying my game is a counterfeit. 

I know most of the ones I've seen have the Security Strip in the corner but some don't. Anyone have any guesses if this is legit or not?

Thanks!!

IMG_4923.jpg

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

Those normally have a holo strip in the upper right corner, it's possible it was a store reseal. However, most store reseals are not folded so I can see how it got the counterfeit designation.

The upc bars on top don't match the same on yours as other Max Payne's, so they are probably made up, you might could scan it and see if it comes up correctly.

I don't have any PS2 games with Security Device across the top, that's normally an Xbox thing, and they don't have bars. Security Device Enclosed is much easier to fake than the actual white label across the top.(much less holo strip)

Sadly, there are people that reseal games, and some are pretty good. I have purchased a few counterfeits over the years and I didn't find out until they were sent in for grading.

I feel your Payne..:cry:

max.jpg

Edited by Makmorn

@Makmorn Thank you for the insight! I purchased this on eBay several years ago and I want to say it was less than 100 at the time. So not too much Payne but still surprised. 
I’ll try and scan it to see if anything comes up. 
Thanks again! 
Cheers!

All NTSC PS2 games released prior to the end of April 2005 have the white security sticker and holofoil seal across the top face of the case. If you have a PS2 game that doesn't look like Makmorn's then it's been resealed or counterfeit. There are counterfeits with UPCs that don't match the UPC on the box and there are fake holofoil seals that are missing the PS logo. 

On 4/12/2023 at 12:01 AM, wmorgan said:

I just got my first video game submission back and they are saying my game is a counterfeit. 

I know most of the ones I've seen have the Security Strip in the corner but some don't. Anyone have any guesses if this is legit or not?

Thanks!!

IMG_4923.jpg
To avoid fakes, buy from trusted game locations. I tell everyone this. I recently read about pragmaticplay gaming, found pragmatic play no deposit bonus and liked it. We need to somehow move on. Standing still is definitely not necessary for development.

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

not a fact, everything can be

Edited by estrellmamone2