• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spring Cleaning - THREAD CLOSED - Mother's day for my wife took priority, and CGC shut down the One Super-Rare book based on delay. My apologies to all. Maybe some other day.
9 9

31 posts in this topic

Next up: I'm back from lunch. So I'm ready to move on to a few cool hors d'oeuvres offerings and then, I've convinced myself, one once-in-a-lifetime opportunity at a very rare and historically significant book. And I mean that seriously. 

Hors d'oeuvres 1.  For the Caniff's Steve Canyon collector who thought they'd seen it all but now finds out they hadn't:

The Press Club of San Francisco's annual publication - Scoop (1971) $45 (and for this lot only includes shipping). I'd call it g/vg (but grade may largely be irrelevant because has anyone else got a copy?).  The cover is a specialty Steve Canyon Sunday drawn for the SF Press Club.  Hardly ever seen.  I've seen two and I bought them both. And this wasn't a one off for the SF Press Club, they also got Charles Shulz to do a specialty Sunday for a cover for a different year's annual:

IMG_0735.thumb.jpg.1df0c0c99cedb14a1809057b1d151d35.jpg

IMG_0734.thumb.jpg.c2248fcc30e4281ada73f458bacfd56f.jpg

IMG_0731.thumb.jpg.ef9baaefca1cbe842a420138b013d78f.jpg

IMG_0732.thumb.jpg.5b6aca2f27ab640b1dd277dbb756f084.jpg

IMG_0733.thumb.jpg.53aaaddf3420f3ed4543ea71654720ee.jpg

Hors d'oeuvres 2.  For owners or wannabe owners of Reform School Girl (the comic) and maybe also the paperback, who would like to complete the set:

The back cover is all that matters on this book.  An outtake from the photo shoot for Reform School Girl's cover featuring model Marty Collins, but here censored with a crude paste up skirt extension.  AVON Pocket-Size Books 399 - ...plus Blood in Their Veins by Robert Paul Smith - VG-F (comic grading with defects shown in pics) - $25 (postage for this lot also included).  This rounds out the story of the Reform School Girl comic and paperback.

IMG_0737.thumb.jpg.ba7b6a81a3cae1a23d22d923fe187129.jpg

IMG_0736.thumb.jpg.0c6d04f0ccff6e3b4b10057a1f03d8c0.jpg

IMG_0739.thumb.jpg.d72da8b2236817188a7ff65c4bcef091.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

For your comic book room:  Rarely seen - a very early (maybe earliest?) magazine cover showing what we all love to see - someone reading a comic.  Our Navy (Mid-April 1945).  $50.  A cool bit of interior decorating at a price that you don't need feel stress for putting it on display.

IMG_0741(1).thumb.jpg.0b9eff68811b7aa309fe969295f54b69.jpg

IMG_0742(1).thumb.jpg.06c330442a9ec6daf5445435613e9f16.jpg

IMG_0743(1).thumb.jpg.877984096d9a756d25a08782ce7b39c5.jpg

I will be coming back to this thread tomorrow.  Probably first thing in the morning Pacific, I will be posting a new thread for one book only.  But, right now, have to head to dinner with my wife and kid.

I have other stuff I'm cleaning out of my office, so look for other cgc comics, etc. later tomorrow on this thread.  

Hope you find these threads a bit entertaining and informative and off the beaten path.

My apologies for the delay on the other thread due to my mother's day obligations to my wife.  The CGC Mods apparently missed my apology and explanation on that thread, or thought it was an inadequate excuse, and deleted the thread based on the delay.

Maybe I'll repost some other day.  For now this thread too is closed.

• Administrator
On 5/14/2023 at 7:42 PM, sfcityduck said:

My apologies for the delay on the other thread due to my mother's day obligations to my wife.  The CGC Mods apparently missed my apology and explanation on that thread, or thought it was an inadequate excuse, and deleted the thread based on the delay.

I didn't miss the apology for the delay.  I would have left it up.  However, there was no price listed for the book.  No return policy either.  Had there been a price, the thread would still be live.  

On 5/14/2023 at 6:22 PM, CGC Mike said:

I didn't miss the apology for the delay.  I would have left it up.  However, there was no price listed for the book.  No return policy either.  Had there been a price, the thread would still be live.  

Fair enough.  Live and learn.  I had posted price was coming.  But I did delete the return policy.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

Fair enough.  Live and learn.  I had posted price was coming.  But I did delete the return policy.

I thought it was for the missing price as well, not the delay which is often accepted by moderation if not exaggerate. :)
I was about to suggest you to add a price, even if high and hypothetic, just for this reason, but at any rate you can re-list it.

On 5/15/2023 at 6:00 AM, vaillant said:

I thought it was for the missing price as well, not the delay which is often accepted by moderation if not exaggerate. :)
I was about to suggest you to add a price, even if high and hypothetic, just for this reason, but at any rate you can re-list it.

I agree. I was having fun watching the thread and waiting for the item. I think there was leeway on the listing itself, but once there was time to type out the history and post the book, you could tell some were upset no price was added. There was no justification at that point for no price and I was worried it would get reported.

Hopefully you saved it, because it was an interesting item for the right collector. 

• Administrator
On 5/15/2023 at 7:03 AM, CAHokie said:

Hopefully you saved it, because it was an interesting item for the right collector. 

The OP has access to the entire thread, so a copy and paste can be done when/if he is ready.