• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 1 Results
3 3

65 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hopefully, everyone will be accounted for in round 2 results.  :shy:  BTW, I do enjoy reading all of the statistics and odds you guys post here. :smile:

On 4/26/2023 at 2:42 PM, zzutak said:

Hey, Tom.  :hi:  I'm not a mathematician, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express once.  :ohnoez:

To date, we've had 20 Contest Rounds.  We've had 2 "perfect" (5 bulls-eye) submissions in 2278 attempts.  Hence, a "perfect" round has happened about 0.09% of the time.  And now, for the disclaimer: past performance is no guarantee of future results.  Collectively, the Board has become better at predicting CGC grades.

Finally, as a neanderthal, I am firmly opposed to "new" rules (either bonuses or penalties) being retroactively applied.  One man's opinion.  :preach:

Hey Jay...hope all is well.  Yep less than 1%.  And as I believe Jolly Comics chimed in pure luck.  Well yeah.  Getting 5/5 vs 4/5 or 3/5 or 2/5 needs some "luck".  Probably many players this contest and many other contests are like .5 off on 3 or 4 books.  Duh.  Skill and luck combined = rare perfection.  Congrats to the five for fiver!  (Still think a $100 credit is a very small tip for the feat.)

On 4/25/2023 at 4:59 PM, apocalypse76 said:

I appreciate someone making an insightful comment about this even though I don't agree with it. What appears to be slight color break on the creases mentioned being more pronounced due to the lighting / angle used is possible, but I would still say however, that creases like that even without color break, along with a few color - breaking ticks on the spine, and the overall poor presentation of a MODERN book from the 90's should have never gotten better than 9.2.

The significance of my point here has nothing to do with a CGC contest or just being a "sore loser". The point here is that because CGC badly mis graded this book some poor sap will probably pay hundreds of dollars for it when they could buy it in the same exact condition raw on EBAY for $25. Everyone seemingly going along with the grade like there's nothing wrong doesn't incentivize CGC to do a better job.

CGC grades the book in hand, you are grading from a blown up image that is from a camera. The real takeaways here are that 1. You are grading a picture of the book, not in hand. Fortunately CGC doesn't grade enlarged images on a screen as defects always look worse. 2. bends that do not break color and are not really defects are negligible, 2-3 small spine ticks will still land you in 9.4 territory (small spine ticks). 9.6 is typically just 1 small spine tick. The book isn't misgraded, you just need to realize that grading a blown up image will backfire in these contests. Toro used to win grading from his phone lol