• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you paying for the grade or for the condition of the holder? Or both?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 7:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that all of my slabs require a re-holder for something. They're all Signature Series, so the proper grade and signor are more important than the case's condition.

Yeah, I have more of a care free attitude towards signed books.

I dont even mind if its slightly over graded or has a little SCS.

The sigs are whats important

I just finished doing the Calgary Comic Expo last weekend and I had a guy in my booth looking at the Hulk 181 cgc 8.0 on display and he rejected it because of the sealing lines of the inner well.

The case is perfect otherwise.

20230504_081555.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

I just got a book back from the Chris Claremont signing with a large Newton Ring right smack in the center of the book.

image.jpeg.bf64fa294a558c2cfddb06cfff667c4f.jpeg

I emailed and was told that CGC policy is that Newton Rings were within the acceptable tolerance levels of QA - I can pay the $40 for the reholder service, but after shelling out over $100 for the signing, it really seems like a gouge - the cases for the other 2 books I sent in came back great, why should this one cost me an extra $40?

My feeling is if other grading services have figured out how to avoid them, this just seems lazy / careless on CGC's part, and Newton Rings should not be within the realm issues that allow a book to pass through QA. 

CGC is supposed to be the highest tier of comic book grading services; I would expect nothing less than the highest quality product being returned, so it's hard to believe someone in charge of QA took a look at the giant splotch in the middle of the cover of the book and said, "that looks great! ship it!" 

Jumping on this thread to say I expect CGC to give me EXACTLY what they advertise. WHICH THEY DONT. Just got back an order that is so far >40% scuffed scratched newton'ed in the middle out of 100 books. Just unreal. WHY AM I SHILLING OUT 1,000+ FOR A SERVICE THAT CANT EVEN DO QC.

On 5/9/2023 at 1:25 PM, Paul Limanni said:

Jumping on this thread to say I expect CGC to give me EXACTLY what they advertise. WHICH THEY DONT. Just got back an order that is so far >40% scuffed scratched newton'ed in the middle out of 100 books. Just unreal. WHY AM I SHILLING OUT 1,000+ FOR A SERVICE THAT CANT EVEN DO QC.

Feel free to post more details of your frustration here....