• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

Offer rejected by SAG-AFTRA as the studios were supposedly not giving in on AI and even wanted to use deceased actor AI scans with no compensation to the estate.

SAG-AFTRA and the studios have finally called it a night on the latest talks in search of a new three-year contract.

In the past 30 minutes or so, the actors union and the AMPTP ended a long bargaining session that started this afternoon. The thinking is they will resume negotiations on Tuesday, the 117th day of the strike. However, at this late hour, no definite time has been set yet.

“This was a productive session, some work still required before there’s a deal,” a studio insider told Deadline tonight of the gathering, which followed the guild’s response earlier in the day to the studios’ so-called “best, last and final offer” of last week. “There’s still some serious daylight between us, at least as of right now,” the insider added.

On 11/6/2023 at 9:28 PM, Microchip said:

"firm & final offer" that is so hollow, you can hear an echo coming out of it.

The studio exec's think they hold some kinda of winning hand, which is obviously ridiculous to anyone trying to sit through most of the movies coming out at the moment.

I can't imagine what the alternative to SAG would be. The UK union? AI? Newbs? Perhaps they hope to break the union: stand firm until Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt crosses the line, opening the floodgates for all others? It all seems unlikely. I can't imagine what their nuclear option would be.  

The studio executives still think this is going to go their way in their terms because they have a disconnect from reality. They are used to having layoffs and closing divisions and restructuring for better leverage…

They need the stars to be in their movies or TV shows to sell ads or to bolster their streaming platform to then sell the toys / merch to fuel the theme parks…

I mean…if I was Sony I’d be the most worried…isn’t their contract with Marvel that they have to have a Spider-Man movie in theaters every X number of years?

On 11/7/2023 at 4:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

Offer rejected by SAG-AFTRA as the studios were supposedly not giving in on AI and even wanted to use deceased actor AI scans with no compensation to the estate.

I still stand by this AI portion. You use someone's likeness and/or voice, they should get paid and have a say on how it is used. 

On 11/6/2023 at 11:45 PM, Eclipse said:

I would, because of this strike me and my whole union have been out of work since june.

Sorry you are still out of work. :(   It is estimated that it has cost the CA economy in excess of 6.5 billion dollars. It trickles down and affects people and businesses that most would not even think about. 

On 11/7/2023 at 7:00 AM, CAHokie said:

Michael Bay is one of the hardest working people on a set. He sums it up perfectly.

IMG_0817.thumb.jpeg.1f721557cb6f5b11eff30f02e7190fc7.jpeg

Bay is a piece of work. Know a guy who worked on his student film while Bay was at Pasadena Art Center. Rich kid. Could hire the best on his "student" film, with the exception of my friend who tied into his mom's house's breaker box and blew a fuse and caught the house on fire.

He's consistently abusive and unkind to the people below him. What else do you need to know about a person? F.. this guy.

Besides, his logic here is flawed like the Bossy Bottom running a train behind a dumpster at a truck stop outside of Barstow that he is: A Mocking Bird imitates and thereby creates its own art. Duh! And on and on...

Edited by NoMan

On 11/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, NoMan said:

Bay is a piece of work. Know a guy who worked on his student film while Bay was at Pasadena Art Center. Rich kid. Could hire the best on his "student" film, with the exception of my friend who tied into his mom's house's breaker box and blew a fuse and caught the house on fire.

He's consistently abusive and unkind to the people below him. What else do you need to know about a person? F.. this guy.

Besides, his logic here is flawed like the Bossy Bottom running a train behind a dumpster at a truck stop outside of Barstow that he is: A Mocking Bird imitates and thereby creates its own art. Duh! And on and on...

I’m not for sure I understand everything written here but I get the gist. I never said that he was a nice guy to everyone, just that I agree with his statement that AI doesn’t create, it imitates (so far).

I stand by my statement that he is one of the hardest working directors I have ever seen.  He is always looking for a unique angle or technique and never slows down or stops moving. Does that make him the best? No, of course not. Bayhem is a name used for a reason. 

say_what.gif.b3c7d5b3b40cf25e4c23836981dfb48f.gif

On 11/7/2023 at 5:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Michael Bay's Titanic was incredible

Titanic_MB.gif.84b83f081de8d923b5d01cfbb61b61cc.gif

You make it sound like ALL of his movies have explosions. I made a comprehensive list below of all of the movies without one.

1) 

:blush:

On 11/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, CAHokie said:

You make it sound like ALL of his movies have explosions. I made a comprehensive list below of all of the movies without one.

1) 

:blush:

A reminder there is an actual site out there where people celebrate the movies Michael Bay could have made if given a chance

michael-bay-gifs-14.gif.0d1bf0e0cddf65795ffd189f4aa29ba1.gif

michael-bay-gifs-16.gif.4f3e78cf12b2be320384f71638e4be68.gif

michael-bay-gifs-18.gif.458a655c830883b4d1e0cd92ccc3a3f0.gif

michael-bay-gifs-8.gif.286e0f1a6a5ed95e7513fad22b452a5b.gif

michael-bay-gifs-1.gif.09893adb894ef2c7c59298d0d2efa042.gif

On 11/8/2023 at 2:00 AM, CAHokie said:

Michael Bay is one of the hardest working people on a set. He sums it up perfectly.

IMG_0817.thumb.jpeg.1f721557cb6f5b11eff30f02e7190fc7.jpeg

He's essentially right.

But the studio's are capitalising on the fact that they will never be dragged into court by by extra, and challenged on their onerous contract terms.   The Union is doing the right thing, fighting for the rights before things get signed into place.

The alternative, would be disband the Union, and form a new one.    

In perpetuity rights for likeness should come at a very high cost to the studio's, for even the lowliest person in the film making business.

The lead negotiators for SAG-AFTRA and the studios are set to meet later today in what could be the final phase to sealing a new deal and the end to the 117-day actors guild strike.

With the AMPTP and SAG-AFTRA having achieved a breakthrough late last night on the contentious topic of AI, Duncan Crabtree-Ireland and AMPTP president Carol Lombardini are scheduled to talk this afternoon. “We are very close,” a guild source told Deadline. “Not done yet, but very close with strong protection language in place,” the source added of AI guardrails long sought by the guild even before they went on strike in mid-July.

One studio source called a deal today “hopeful” while another giddy insider beamed “It’s going to happen.”

That-escalated-quickly-GIF.gif