• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 50-year-old Virgin (Please post first time comic con advice here!)
2 2

46 posts in this topic

So, I think a crucial step towards planning the best convention experience might sound like the obvious one but is oft overlooked (especially by experienced attendees): look at the convention website.

- The convention website will most likely have a Floor Plan you can study. This gives you a rudiment idea of where things are, including ATM, rest rooms, etc.

- On the website, check out the Dealers/Exhibitors list- sometimes (not always), they'll have links to their respective sites, so you'll get a feel for which dealers specialize in what, etc.

- You can also check out the Artist's Alley list and get a feel for any prospective creators you want to check out to get a print, etc.

Next, look at the Convention you're attending- if it's not the first installment of said Con, it's highly probably that there's YouTube Footage of past installments that you can watch to get a feel and a visual impression of the set up, the layout of the convention center itself, etc.

- Sadly, a majority of these are shaky phone videos where the person making the video isn't taking into consideration of the potential audience and how THEY are seeing it, but there are often good videos that give you some kind of idea of what you're walking into.

On 5/5/2023 at 2:57 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Terrificon is rapidly growing into a similar type of show as Heroes.

Had to check since I had no idea where this one is held and it’s way up in Connecticut.  East coast rocks.

Great points!

I will look at exhibitors and artists ahead of time.

Wear comfortable shoes

I tend to scout first. Try to find some unique dealers. My trusted go-to’s are Bob Storms and Dale Roberts at bigger shows. I will usually research their websites prior and ask them to bring some books. Bob is excellent at doing that and one of the best graders I know.

Bring cash with a budget in mind. Don’t be tempted to exceed with credit cards

Want Lists keep me on course but I will by lesser price BA books on a whim.