• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sending collectibles overseas (EU) - Tariffs?

13 posts in this topic

Did you sell these on eBay? If so, and you didn't use their International Shipping/Global Shipping Program, I'd cancel the transaction and relist selecting that option only for shipping. eBay will take care of the tax stuff. It may cost a little more for the buyer, but it's a lot less work on your end. 

Edited by awakeintheashes
Autocorrect drank my milkshake

I haven't been on ebay for over a few years so I wasn't aware on how things changed. (such as no more Paypal, shipping choices etc). The sale is over and I need to ship. I've sent stuff overseas in the distant past but what the USPS is estimating just doesn't seem right. I went on a few "Calculator" sites and they estimate a more reasonable fee (like 19% or something). Plus I'm not sure what exactly the HS tariff code should be for collectibles.  Since I'm the seller, the tariffs don't affect me. But I don't want the buyer to reject it either. I sent a message to them making sure they are aware of the tariffs and such. Awaiting a reply.

Edited by Christopher_Short

I started a chat with ebay to see if I could send them through their program. Turns out there is a Max price allowed for International Shipping program. Like you mentioned and what was suggested (since there were 4 seperate sales). 1 was good for the International but I was told to cancel the other three and have them re buy and check them out indivually (since I grouped them on one invoice) so they can qualify.

Edited by Christopher_Short

On 5/9/2023 at 3:08 PM, Christopher_Short said:

I started a chat with ebay to see if I could send them through their program. Turns out there is a Max price allowed for International Shipping program. Like you mentioned and what was suggested (since there were 4 seperate sales). 1 was good for the International but I was told to cancel the other three and have them re buy and check them out indivually (since I grouped them on one invoice) so they can qualify.

I’ve had to do that before. Essentially, cancel the order and list all of the items the buyer wants as one lot. 

I have a message in my listings for buyers to message if they are international and interested in more than one item, but it’s rare anyone follows.

Hopefully, everything works out for you. 

On 5/9/2023 at 6:56 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I’ve had to do that before. Essentially, cancel the order and list all of the items the buyer wants as one lot. 

I have a message in my listings for buyers to message if they are international and interested in more than one item, but it’s rare anyone follows.

Hopefully, everything works out for you. 

I can't do it in one lot as it goes over the $1000 limit. Even 2 items together wont qualify so it has to be seperate as they are 500-600 each. Just waitng for buyer to repurchase...My luck he will change his mind now 

From what I understand from my P.O., this is a fairly new development with EU countries. It is speculated that the purpose is to slow down EU money from purchasing overseas. Many people around here are canceling transactions due to this. The tariff can be VERY high. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/10/2023 at 7:05 AM, GermanFan said:

When I bought from the US here from the boards and from Ebay I got the comics always with USPS and the sellers wrote a low value on the parcel so that I alway got them direct to me (Germany) without problems. But that was 10 years ago, the good old days. Days gone bye it seems.

Guten Tag, The problem with that has always been if there was a problem you would get your money back, but the seller would not be made whole.  Example if I sold you a book that was worth $1k, but I put $100 as the value on customers and the package is lost I would could very well be out $900.

Update: As I suspected would happen, no response from orignal buyer when it came to re-purchasing the items even after he said to let him know when it was relisted (which I responded to him that it was a minute later). I only had one of the items I didn't have to cancel but it was just a $200 item. The rest totaled $1400.... Probably for the best as I was getting confused with the all the Tariff red tape anyways and would have made a mistake somehow. 

On 5/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

Did you try sending as books instead of choosing collectables?

HS Code 49019900 - Printed, books, brochures

Supposedly, the content description is required to be more specific(and correct) and that inspections will be more frequent, presumably funded by the tariffs. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, Vintage_Paper said:

Did you try sending as books instead of choosing collectables?

HS Code 49019900 - Printed, books, brochures

I tried many codes including books to see if any difference would be found. They all came back the same. If the value was $1800, the tariff was around $1300....I have a co-worker in Paris who confirmed the high rates with some of his purchases..