• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

64 posts in this topic

I decided to give PGX a whirl and see what the cases were like. When the books came back 3 of the 10 books cases were not sealed. They were opened on the sides. I was not too happy about that.

if they were Golden Age books, it's because they only had the one size of holder, which is used for moderns or silver age, and is not as thick to accomodate a GA book, I too had sent them a GA book and when it came back, the sides were bowed out and it didn't look sealed, they have just now gotten the new GA size holders in (just yesterday) so that should solve that problem, I myself wonder what took them so long to get bigger size holders for GA or 100 pagers, etc.

but anyway,.. I intend on sending in a few more GA books to see what the new holders are like,... I've been happy with their service in every other way...and also the new inner wells are made of Barex not PVC, and have been for some time... I'm not a PGX defender nor a CGC one, I just want to give out the proper info so that collectors know they have more than one choice in the hobby...with all the shenanagans going on with CGC lately, what's the upside to sending my books to CGC anymore ?? trimming detection ?? book's full grade potential ?? SCS ???

They were actually modern books, I got them back around October. The turn around was not as advertised took about a month or a little over. I am sure I will try them again if and when I decide to grade more books.

I decided to give PGX a whirl and see what the cases were like. When the books came back 3 of the 10 books cases were not sealed. They were opened on the sides. I was not too happy about that.

if they were Golden Age books, it's because they only had the one size of holder, which is used for moderns or silver age, and is not as thick to accomodate a GA book, I too had sent them a GA book and when it came back, the sides were bowed out and it didn't look sealed, they have just now gotten the new GA size holders in (just yesterday) so that should solve that problem, I myself wonder what took them so long to get bigger size holders for GA or 100 pagers, etc.

They were actually modern books, I got them back around October. The turn around was not as advertised took about a month or a little over. I am sure I will try them again if and when I decide to grade more books.

well, so much for my theory,..I haven't sent any moderns, but I just recently sent in two Silver/Bronze books 1967-1970, and got them back in 11 business days,. so who knows confused-smiley-013.gif