• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nintendo's LEGEND OF ZELDA movie directed by Wes Ball (TBD)

7 posts in this topic

Tears of the Kingdom producer Eiji Aonuma and director Hidemaro Fujibayashi have shared that they are "interested" in a film adaptation of The Legend of Zelda, especially after the incredible success of The Super Mario Bros. Movie.

The pair were asked this question by Polygon and, while they confirmed there is definitely interest, it's ultimately not up to them.

"I have to say, I am interested. For sure. But it’s not just me being interested in something that makes things happen, unfortunately," Aonuma said.

"Maybe the voice of the fans is what’s important here," Fujibayashi added.

It's easy to see why the prospect of a movie based on The Legend of Zelda is an enticing one, as The Super Mario Bros. Movie recently became just the 10th animated film to ever cross $1 billion at the global box office.

Edited by Bosco685

Now, based on a tip received by Jeff Sneider (via John Rocha), Universal is reportedly closing a "big deal" with Nintendo to make a Legend of Zelda movie. Screen Rant has reached out to the studios for comment. Read what Sneider said on The Hot Mic podcast or watch the video below:

"I’m told that Universal is, in fact, closing a "big deal" with the Nintendo corporation for The Legend of Zelda. Zelda is looking like the next big Illumination-Nintendo franchise, which we were all sort of expecting. I’m told that is happening."

The Legend of Zelda Live-Action Movie Announced by Nintendo

A new live-action The Legend of Zelda movie has been officially confirmed by Nintendo. For years, Nintendo has sworn off adapting its characters outside of gaming, partially because gaming adaptations have a track record of being pretty poor. Nintendo has one of the most infamous examples of a bad video game movie with the original live action Super Mario Bros. film which was universally panned. However, things have turned around in recent years as Hollywood has gotten a better grasp on understanding what fans want from these kinds of projects and work in tandem with the developers to bring them to life. One of the biggest movies of 2023 was Universal's own Super Mario Bros. Movie, which grossed well over a billion dollars at the box office.

Now, Nintendo is setting its eyes at another massive video game adaptation: The Legend of Zelda. Nintendo is joining forces with Sony Pictures to bring Zelda to the big screen with Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes director Wes Ball set to direct the film. The Legend of Zelda movie will also be produced by long time Spider-Man producer, Avi Arad.

"I have been working on the live-action film of The Legend of Zelda for many years now with Avi Arad-san, who has produced many mega hit films," said Nintendo game director Shigeru Miyamoto in a statement. "I have asked Avi-san to produce this film with me, and we have now officially started the development of the film with Nintendo itself heavily involved in the production. It will take time until its completion, but I hope you look forward to seeing it."