• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to store your collection.

28 posts in this topic

Just wondering how some of you store your comics, I started using the Ultra Pro Acid Free, Polypropylene sleeve with sealed board.

How are these??

Should i use something else??

Are there any other options to the usuall cardboard boxes to store comics??

Recomendations please.

Mylar is the way to go as far as a comic bag (especially for your better and more expensive books since they are totally inert).....in conjuction with a true "acid free" backing board.

This is just one site that sells this type of high grade storage materials. You can order from it as well as just explore and read to gain knowledge on proper storage methods.

Linkypoo for Bill Cole Enterprises

If you are using Polypropylene sleeve's you will need to change them every few years as they give off gases that are harmful to the books. Mylar sleeves are inert and do not need to be changed, and although more expensive initially, end up being cheaper in the long run.

You also should use acid free/ archival quality backing boards and boxes for maximum protection for your books.

Good places to start are E Gerber and Bill Cole's websites. Look in the 'Advice For New Collectors' thread and you will find a post from The Man Of Steel that has more infomation and links to all the relevant websites.

Heres a link to the thread http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=12417&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Also.....here's another site that sells them and is supposed to have good prices from what I've heard (but I've not ordered from them or checked it out yet). Also, I think another poster in here (Rickdogg) likes their Plastic Corrugated Storage boxes. Maybe Ricky can chime in here on them.

Linkamundo for Bags Unlimited

Guys, tell me what I'm doing wrong because I seem to be storing my books maybe a bit unconventionally. I'll read about your thoughts in the morning.

I've got my comics for the most part 2 in a bag. (Not mylar). The back covers are against each other so on one side of the bag, I see the cover of issue 33, and when I flip the bag over I'm looking at issue 34. (Get the idea) No backing boards are being used.

They are in a neat pile. Althernating the spines like this help keep the piles strait up. I don't pile them too high, 'cause I am worried about all the weight at the bottom of the pile.

I do examine my books from time to time and many of the NM's I bought 20 years ago are still in NM to VF+ condition. Many of the Silver Age comics I bought in that collection I've mentioned from time to time about 3 years ago still have a tremendous amount of gloss left on the cover. Although these books were stored without any poly bags by the original collector, I've put them in bags like the way I described. With someone mentioning these bags harming books in the long run, is cover gloss one of the things effected?

Also, any long term damage possible with the comics at the bottom of these piles?

I haven't noticed anything for the stuff that I've had for over 20 years, but I admit on many of the books when I bought them I wasn't that concerned over a couple of small stress cracks on the spine. I'm sure many of these books probably had them when I bought them.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, if I continue storing my comics like this, what do you think will happen to the books in 20 more years?

Your opinions would be very much appreciated.

Storage in bags does destroy the cover gloss over time...

If you must go with the unconventional approach, I recommend using Golden Age bags and bricking 10-12 comics per bag. It's a lot more stable against spine stress than 2 a bag, and you cut down on the surface exposed to the plastic.

I have purchased 2 large collections that were stored this way with great results... It's not the best method, but if you are going to use a cheap method, it's a lot better than the 2 a bag strategy.

Several problems that come to mind, with the way you are storing your books:

1.Poor quality bags are not good for long term storage.

We have already mentioned that poor quality bags need to be changed every few years to prevent the harmful gases they give off damaging the books. Consider switching to Mylar for permanent protection.

2. Storing more than one book in a bag is not a good idea.

Comic books are made from low quality paper, and this paper gives off acid which degrades the paper. The more paper in a bag, the more acid in there also. You really need a good acid free backing board in with the book to absorb some of this harmful acid to help prevent page yellowing. Also having books stored cover to cover can create ink transfer stains as ink from one cover is fused to the other. Store only one book in each bag with an acid free backing board.

3. Stacking books vertically can damage your books.

Aside from the danger of them toppling over and getting crushed. shocked.gif Your books can develop curved spines, dust shadows, page yellowing etc depending on where they are in the stack. Also the fact that they are not in an acid free box leaves them open to any adverse elements in your storage environment.

Store your books upright in an archival quality acid free box.

Also, you didn't mention where you have these stacks. Are they in a closet or on the floor?

If you are stacking the books on or close to the ground you are also risking damage by water (flooding) and bugs (sliverfish etc that EAT paper). Its best to keep the books on a shelf above the ground to minimise these risks.

I hope this is all helpful, and has not scared you too much. grin.gif

Of course, the things I have said alude to the optimal storage conditions, you have said nothing about your budget so I am assuming you are willing to upgrade.

Also, one possible problem with storing books long term the way you do is ink transfer. When 2 books are pressed up against eachother for long periods of time, you may get ink rub from one book to another. A lot of wharehouse books that were improperly stored will have some mild ink transfer stains.

3. Stacking books vertically can damage your books.

Aside from the danger of them toppling over and getting crushed. Your books can develop curved spines, dust shadows, page yellowing etc depending on where they are in the stack. Also the fact that they are not in an acid free box leaves them open to any adverse elements in your storage environment.

Store your books upright in an archival quality acid free box.

Isnt stacking books vertical and upright the same thing?

Comic books are made from low quality paper, and this paper gives off acid which degrades the paper. The more paper in a bag, the more acid in there also. You really need a good acid free backing board in with the book to absorb some of this harmful acid to help prevent page yellowing.

Although I agree with everything else you said (which won't surprise people since I chime in on these threads every time they come up), I have to disagree here.

The acid in the paper is not harmful to the paper at all. What is harmful are the agents produced when that acid reacts with the oxygen in the air. That chemical reaction is what accelerates the decay of the paper (since the damage is inevitable, all we can do is slow it down). Tightly compressed paper will decay slower than it will in separate bags. Both the Gaines File Copies and Church collection are examples of this. Lots of paper tightly squished together, very slow degradation of the paper.

For storage of books in individual bags, acid-free boards are critical. But reasonable storage conditions can be achieved by bricking them together in larger bags. The key is keeping them tight and flat to minimize the exposure.

Again, lest anyone misunderstand me. You are best off with Mylar and Full-Backs (or the equivalent from another company). But if you MUST go with a cheap solution, you are better with bricked books than individuals or doubles.

Whoops, sorry! crazy.gif

I read your post, but somehow missed that. I'm too old to develop learning disorders right? crazy.gifconfused.gif

Storing in bags hurts cover gloss?

Curious as to how long this should take. Because several months ago I admitted to storing new comics in a poly bag for 20+ years and have noticed little or no effect on the gloss.

Still shining like new.

And, would it be correct to say that mylars are less damaging to the gloss?

I am thinking that maybe because I recently re-bagged my collection, perhaps what I will do is re-bag slowly starting in a couple of years as I have about 13,000 comics, so it could take some time. Not looking forward to it. frown.gif

Blowout, because you asked, the comics are on shelves in a small room in the basement off the floor. (We call it the comic room, 'cause that's all that's in it.) It used to be a spare bedroom. There are two windows that I keep covered with a blind. So, there is pretty good protection from the light and for the most part the room is quite cool all year 'round.

In reply to no one specificI just opened up a Marvel Tales 57 that had been stored in a produce bag for at least 25 years and the cover was glossy, pages were white.. Only the fold from being in my back pocket,and a few pizza stains on the cover kept me from having it slabbed.

so it could take some time. Not looking forward to it

You might be surprised! Recently I transferred the bulk of my Silver/Bronze collection from my mom & dad's house to my own. The books had been stored in polyethylene bags for 10-15 years. They were in dire need of a re-bagging: the books themselves looked just fine, but the bags were yellowed once I took them off. But I found it a huge kick to re-discover books unseen for so many years! smile.gif

I chose Mylites2 for the best 500 or so, and am partial to polyethylene bags for the remaining 1000 or so. Hate the newer polypropylene bags-- too sticky & too crinkley! crazy.gif Will be sure to re-bag the polyethylene bags within the next several years.

Oh, and I've found at stores like Hold Your Own you can get tupperware-like storage bins that are (I presume) acid free, and while not air-tight, certainly do limit the amount of air and sunlight that can get in.

Cheers,

Z.