• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your guess on how many collectors...

31 posts in this topic

have complete runs of the following.

TOS's from 39 up

TTAs from 35 up

Avengers 1-93

Adventure 300-378

I'm guessing more have Avengers runs than the other three but I realy have no clue how many complete sets of these series exist. I know it wouldn't be all that difficult to assemble them,but how many collectors would you venture to guess have them now.

Do you think 100 collectors have complete runs of super-hero Tales to Astonish? 500? 1,000?

Which of the four series do you think has the fewest number of complete sets?

I would dare say that the Avengers run would be the one that more people would have, based on a few assumptions:

1-Lower cost across the baord in relative grades.

2-At one time or another, everybody has been an Avenger, which heightens the fan base

3-Comparing Avengers 1 to ToS 39 or TTA 27, Avengers 1 is just so much cheaper.

have complete runs of the following.

TOS's from 39 up

TTAs from 35 up

Avengers 1-93

Adventure 300-378

I'm guessing more have Avengers runs than the other three but I realy have no clue how many complete sets of these series exist. I know it wouldn't be all that difficult to assemble them,but how many collectors would you venture to guess have them now.

Do you think 100 collectors have complete runs of super-hero Tales to Astonish? 500? 1,000?

Which of the four series do you think has the fewest number of complete sets?

Don`t know what the numbers would be, but in terms of most and general proportionality:

1. Avengers (4-5X TOS)

2. TOS (probably 2-3X TTA)

3. TTA (probably 4-5X Adventure)

4. Adventure (including Ian Levine and Christine Farrell, I would bet the number would only be in the dozens).

So,sticking numbers into your formula

Adventure 12 to 36 collectors

TTA 48 to 180 collectors

TOS 96 to 270 collectors

Avengers 375 to 1050.

First off,I suspect there are many more Legion fans than you credit,and with being able to get the entire Adventure 300-378 run for much less than the cost of TTA 27,I'm going to disagree with your assumptions.

I'm not sure that 100 copies of TTA 27 exist,and I seriously doubt the majority of existing copies belong to complete runs.

I do agree that the Avengers collections are very likely to exist in multiples of the others.

TTA 48 to 180 collectors

TOS 96 to 270 collectors

Avengers 375 to 1050.

First off,I suspect there are many more Legion fans than you credit,and with being able to get the entire Adventure 300-378 run for much less than the cost of TTA 27,I'm going to disagree with your assumptions.

I'm not sure that 100 copies of TTA 27 exist,and I seriously doubt the majority of existing copies belong to complete runs.

I do agree that the Avengers collections are very likely to exist in multiples of the others.

you really think there are only 100 copies of TTA 27? REALLY??

AND, it seems you are making the leap from a possible low number of complete collecti0on of thes e title to conclude that the books are hard to find... I hope Im misunderstanding, cause any decent sized show will have scores of these books for sale in all conditions. Mid 60s Marvels are plentiful...

I have every legion book from every series.

You must be a glutton for punishment.I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone that was a fan of the 60s/70/s/80s Legion can read the drek that has been the Legion since shortly after The Crisis/Death of Superboy

revamps. Legion90/Legionaires,ect,ect...Valor...

You have a stronger stomach than I do,my friend.

I have all four sets and always look to upgrade here and there when the price and the book are right. Comicdom is huge, and there are a LOT more than 100 TTA 27's out there, not exactly in high grade, but they are out there. And there are legions (pun intended) of people sitting on runs of silver and bronze DC's. I'd agree with the order of likely completed runs, e.g., Avengers first & Adventure last, but I think there are a lot of complete runs out there. They are not that hard to complete even in mid-grade. High grade will take a while.

As there are 124 copies of TTA 27 in the CGC census,I guess my earlier statement was incorrect.

But,come on folks,throw some numbers around. Don't just say there are lots,or legions of collectors. Give your best guestimates,in real numbers.

I don't think there are hundreds,or even 200

complete TTA collections out there,nor thousands of Avengers.

I think the estimates are low, but until someone does a count......

I know of collectors here in Alaska that have full marvel runs, or at least used to have them....

I'm not actively searching for any of these except possibly pre-hero.

I have TOS 39 up. I'm still missing some pre-heros.

TTA I've got 27 and on the way to 101 I'm probably missing 20.

Avengers (1-93)...Have 1, 2, (sold 3 and 4 lately) and likely missing 20 or so.

Adventure (300-378)...Have #300 and likely 10 more out of the group.

DC's were never my thing as a kid, but I started liking them later in life....

I don't think the estimates are low, actually, and the responses on this thread tend to back that up. While there may be several thousand near-complete runs of Avengers 1-100, Adventure 300-380, TTA27,35-101, or TOS39-99, I suspect there are only hundreds and not thousands of complete runs of these titles.

I would agree with Tim that Avengers is the title among the four likely to have the most complete runs, closely followed by TOS - indeed, Avengers is only title in my collection among the four that is complete (from ish 1-85). Personally, filling in those early Ant-Man issues in high grade is not a high priority. TOS is a cool run, but ish 39 is so expensive, I sold my copy to buy a plasma TV. And at conventions, complete runs of early to mid Silver Adventure just never seem to appear. Still, if this little ol' collector from Wilmington, Delaware can amass complete (Avengers) or near-complete (TOS) runs of some of these titles, then I've got to believe that there are many hundreds of complete runs of each out there.

Its not a matter of "can they be easily put together",as much as have they been put together.

I know dozens of people that have ,say,90% of Silver Age Avengers,but are missing a few.

Same with the Legion.I know that I'm missing a few of the Action appearences from 288-29?. With those purchases,I believe I'll have the entire run from 247 thru the Baxter series.

TTA 48 to 180 collectors

TOS 96 to 270 collectors

Avengers 375 to 1050.

But YOU defined the TTA run as 35 & up! makepoint.gif I therefore didn`t include #27 in my calculations, which I think would have lowered the number of complete TTA "superhero" runs significantly further. I think there are definitely more than 100 copies of TTA 27 in existence, but I think the number of collectors who have complete TTA runs is low just because it`s relatively hard to find and it`s never been a very popular title, at least for the Ant-Man/Giant-Man run.

Similarly, I don`t think finding Adventure 300-380 is all that hard, if grade is not an object, although I don`t think it`s particularly easy either, particularly the issues in the low 300s. But, I just don`t think there are that many Legion collectors out there, especially with complete runs. I may be wrong in this, but the number of DC collectors out there in general is relatively small, so I`m assuming the subset of Legion collectors is tiny, and the further subset of Legion collectors with a complete Adventure run is miniscule.