• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your guess on how many collectors...

31 posts in this topic

I was just looking through our unprocessed DCs today and we have nearly all of Adventure Comics 300-380. So we nearly have a set without even trying. So I'm not sure why Adventure can be considered that difficult.

It`s not difficult, just not very popular. The low price for Adventures, as mentioned by Shadroch, is a pretty good indication that they`re just not that popular.

Well, I think this depends a lot upon the grade. It would not cost very much to complete a TOS run if they are all in 2.0 condition. It would cost a lot more to get them in 4.0 condition, and a helluva lot more to get them in 9.4 condition or better. There are probably hundreds that have complete runs of each though.

I was just looking through our unprocessed DCs today and we have nearly all of Adventure Comics 300-380. So we nearly have a set without even trying. So I'm not sure why Adventure can be considered that difficult.

It`s not difficult, just not very popular. The low price for Adventures, as mentioned by Shadroch, is a pretty good indication that they`re just not that popular.

I would put this run of Adventures as some of the best stories DC produced during that time period. Adventure pre 300 was basically just a Superboy title. 300-380 (while not every single issue) were just awesome.

On the matter of their collectibility, the bulk of my issues are high grade, but I have a few I could upgrade. Getting a set together isn't difficult if grade doesn't matter. In high grade, that's a totally different story, but the same could probably be said of many sets from the time period.

I would guess there are at least 100 complete runs out there, and several times that many uncomplete in collections (I have a friend who has needed 7 issues for years).

Avengers is a very popular run, I used to have a complete set as a kid in high school. I would bet 3-5 hundred runs of the issues you mentioned would be believable.

Complete set collecting seems to be far less popular than just picking up the issues someone likes of a run, usually in high grade. People who collect complete runs are probably obsessive. Just look at my want list shy.gif

I have every legion book from every series.

You must be a glutton for punishment.I'm sorry but I don't understand how anyone that was a fan of the 60s/70/s/80s Legion can read the drek that has been the Legion since shortly after The Crisis/Death of Superboy

revamps. Legion90/Legionaires,ect,ect...Valor...

You have a stronger stomach than I do,my friend.

Totally agree unfortunately.

As to number of total runs, I'd say probably quite small. But I think that's because a lot of people get close without finishing (maybe missing the first issue or half dozen issues or keys).

If you rephrased slightly to how many people have 95%+ of TOS 39-99 (or similar), then I'd say thousands.

I have myself ,complete runs of all the marvel titles in all grades . Except the Adventures with the Legion!! Well , I do have a few of those also , but I prefer the Challengers of the Unknown to the Legion, ESP. Kirby issues. Hey, that's another story!! grin.gif

I've got the Avengers covered (1-402). I'm missing a few of the TOS but I do have a 39. I'll finish up when I get done with the Bronze Age Marvel quest insane.gif. TTA and Adventure never caught my eye so I only have a few issues of each.

If I has to guess I would say maybe 500 Avengers runs, 300 TOS, 150 TTA and < 100 Adventure. But that's just pulling numbers out of the air.