• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Database of CGC scans?

3 posts in this topic

I have been trying to get better at grading, and have started a folder for each grade where I store front and back scans of CGC comics as I find them on the web.  This got me thinking has anyone ever created a database of CGC scans?  I think it might be nice to have a search box where you put in a CGC number just like validation, but you also get scans of the comic itself.

I gather lots of people don't want their comics scanned, or on the web, because scammers can use them to trick others.  However, every time someone sells a slab on eBay or Heritage they are posted for all to see. So the cat is mostly out of the bag.  I think it would be useful to verify that the book you are buying matches what CGC graded beyond the barcode.

Anyways curious if anyone knows of an existing database or would find such a thing useful?

On 5/30/2023 at 3:51 PM, apoptosis said:

I have been trying to get better at grading, and have started a folder for each grade where I store front and back scans of CGC comics as I find them on the web.  This got me thinking has anyone ever created a database of CGC scans?  I think it might be nice to have a search box where you put in a CGC number just like validation, but you also get scans of the comic itself.

I gather lots of people don't want their comics scanned, or on the web, because scammers can use them to trick others.  However, every time someone sells a slab on eBay or Heritage they are posted for all to see. So the cat is mostly out of the bag.  I think it would be useful to verify that the book you are buying matches what CGC graded beyond the barcode.

Anyways curious if anyone knows of an existing database or would find such a thing useful?

I think your best bet is a site you mentioned in your post.  Heritage has high-quality scans available for registered users of all of their past auctions of CGC comic books, front and back (except the earliest ones may not have back scans).  Registration is free.  So you might want to train by searching for "CGC 9.8", then "CGC 9.6" and so on.

On 5/31/2023 at 7:33 PM, Tom789 said:

I think your best bet is a site you mentioned in your post.  Heritage has high-quality scans available for registered users of all of their past auctions of CGC comic books, front and back (except the earliest ones may not have back scans).  Registration is free.  So you might want to train by searching for "CGC 9.8", then "CGC 9.6" and so on.

This is exactly what I am doing, the question was more about if people would want a database where you enter in the cgc # and get back front and back photos of the slab.