• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A question about what's hot and why
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2023 at 9:17 AM, seanfingh said:

In the summer of '89, when the Michael Keaton Batman movie was released. Batman (in the aggregate) was as hot as any of modern Marvel movie books.  Any Joker cover books were smoking hot - and i mean smoking hot.  Getting $15-20 in trade per Joker cover and buying Marvel Bronze in F-NM out of the quarter boxes - Eternals, mid run SubMariner, ROM, 25 cent Caps etc.  I was in comics from about 1984 through 2016, and the only thing that was ever close to '89 Batman was the Walking Dead in about 2012.

100% spot on. That summer was absolutely bananas. We went to the movie theatre three straight weekends in a row on a Saturday and each time, complete sell out. Crowd reactions were insane during the movie and rank in my all-time top 5 of live fun movie experiences.

It was also great hitting the toy and department stores for specific action figure variants and rare error cards. I even went in with a comrade and we bought a gigantic amount of those Topps wax pack box movie cards. These were uber high quality. Went to a collectible show event that summer and it was just a frenzy over anything Bats. Unfortunately I didn't really flip anything comic wise and was actually hoarding.