• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Punisher art and Marvel's actions
3 3

86 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2023 at 9:36 AM, MAR1979 said:

Superman, the Character that in effect inspired the entire super-hero genre has been treated very very poorly in the comics for most of my lifetime.

-  Late 1980's; rendered flaccid power-wise by Byrne.
- 1993; "Killed off" for a full year - not 30-40 days, a full year!
- 1994; brought back with a Mullet. A frickin' Mullet!!!  The height of indignity.
-  late 1990's; Classic costume and powers taken away for over a year. Character becomes pure energy or some tripe and starts wearing an electric blue outfit and or crimson red jumper - WTF?
-  Sept 1 2011; The total dee-bag Superman (characterization) is born. Classic costume gone for many many years and changed to an abomination + insult to American pop-culture. A costume and characterization change that served merely to stroke the universal sized ego's and tiny u know whats of Jim Lee, Geoff Johns, and Dan Didio.

So puhlease no more whining about the Punisher, as the medium itself exists as we know it due to the Superman Character.  The same character who has been treated like excrement for 4 decades!

P.S. The rule should be; If no mullet, then no whining!

Sure, but then we got the cool af Kingdom Come Superman :luhv:

I was the littlest biggest Superman fan as a tyke. It was brought on I’m sure by Christopher Reeve’s Superman and at the time it was brought on by the marketing push for Superman II. I carry a 3-inch scar on my ankle getting hurt pretending to be Superman. Here’s a page from my first Superman title book reimagining the whole coal-into-diamond bit:

B39D7C0B-B959-47E5-8A8E-B2BC53F6AAEE.thumb.jpeg.6030f53b34444d791783c624a7af169b.jpeg

A commission of another important “first” Superman book:

0A0A3170-E1FB-442D-A3D1-BDFB0F35678F.thumb.jpeg.839d26cbdd82eeb3fadd44985c43b8ca.jpeg

Then one day I was talking to one of the Hernandez Bros, Mario or Beto, and one of the two was telling me about the books they read as a kids and they kept citing Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane. I thought it was silly for them to have been reading—what I thought was a girl’s book—and asked if they read Superman at all. Their was response was “Superman is virtually invincible and unstoppable. There’s only so much you can do with that. So he was really boring to us.”

I never looked at Superman the same way again. Probably explains why he gets stripped of his powers so much—to make him “interesting.”

Edited by John E.

On 7/19/2023 at 3:56 PM, John E. said:

The mid-90s did give birth to pony-tail Punisher. It might not be a mullet but it’s still 🤮

oh yeah almost forgot about that...and about this from 1991; https://www.cbr.com/remember-to-forget-that-time-the-punisher-became-a-black-guy/

Folks it only proves the point that Character and costume changes go back many decades and change is constant, but nearly all are eventually reverted back to status quo's or close to it.  I know some of you like to produce outrage, but when it comes to comic books it's all somewhat silly.   Except when it comes to Mullets those must not be tolerated.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/19/2023 at 8:58 AM, RBerman said:

Are they rebooting Kamala with powers to match the "solid light" she has on the Disney+ TV show? Those were taken from another character, Sapheara, a hearing-impaired heroine who appeared in a one-shot that Marvel published in 2014 for the Children's Hearing Institute, to teach kids about their cochlear implants. Here's the splash from that, to bring the topic back around to original art.

image.thumb.jpeg.39757168875f7e7d6983154be46c2193.jpeg

I read rumors on news sites that Marvel killed off Kamala in order to resurrect her with powers closer to her MCU counterpart. Then I recently read from a more official source that Marvel is bringing back Kamala as a mutant in a new series co-written by Iman Vellani, the actress. 

Not sure how I feel about this. I liked Ms Marvel’s “embiggen” powers as an Inhuman but I concede stretchy powers look silly on film. I thought it was creative on MCU’s part to give her “solid light” powers instead. But I’m not jiving with this whole tail wagging the dog move.