• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying an old story

2 posts in this topic

This has been doing my head in for many a year, I hope this is the right place to post this, if not, I apologise.

I remember reading this in the late 70s / early 80s (UK) and wondered if anyone recognised it.

I think it was in a reprint of one of those Tales from the crypt or EC horror comics:

A newlywed couple takes their honeymoon on an ocean liner, but their voyage takes a horrific turn when the ship rescues a survivor from a small boat. This survivor carries a contagious disease that transforms anyone who touches them into a monster. As the disease rapidly spreads throughout the ship, the couple finds themselves trapped among the infected passengers and crew. Desperate to escape, they make their way to a window with the hope of reaching safety. The husband manages to climb out and into a lifeboat, but as his wife is about to follow, she is touched by one of the infected individuals. Realizing that she is now transformed into a monster, the husband, fearing for his life, leaves her behind and escapes in the lifeboat alone.

The monsters looked a bit like Ben Grimm or the Hulk, bulky, broad foreheads, deep set eyes, but that's all I remember!

Edited by maxnutter

On 6/14/2023 at 8:15 AM, maxnutter said:

This has been doing my head in for many a year, I hope this is the right place to post this, if not, I apologise.

I remember reading this in the late 70s / early 80s (UK) and wondered if anyone recognised it.

I think it was in a reprint of one of those Tales from the crypt or EC horror comics:

A newlywed couple takes their honeymoon on an ocean liner, but their voyage takes a horrific turn when the ship rescues a survivor from a small boat. This survivor carries a contagious disease that transforms anyone who touches them into a monster. As the disease rapidly spreads throughout the ship, the couple finds themselves trapped among the infected passengers and crew. Desperate to escape, they make their way to a window with the hope of reaching safety. The husband manages to climb out and into a lifeboat, but as his wife is about to follow, she is touched by one of the infected individuals. Realizing that she is now transformed into a monster, the husband, fearing for his life, leaves her behind and escapes in the lifeboat alone.

The monsters looked a bit like Ben Grimm or the Hulk, bulky, broad foreheads, deep set eyes, but that's all I remember!

Sounds like Atlas.  Which would make sense for a UK publication.  I have digest sized UK publications that date to the early to mid 60s jam packed with Atlas stories of this type. L. Miller & Sons publications like "Suspense" I think.  That's where I'd start for search terms on the GCD. There's a story called "No Where to Hide" that may be possibility.  Good luck!

Edited by sfcityduck