• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATRICK'S CORNUCOPIA is CLOSED
5 5

323 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2023 at 3:24 PM, crassus said:

"No place to hide" is an important book, I use it sometimes as primary source material for the early Cold War. The author was part of the Operation Crossroads medical team, and it is a very compelling account of just how much even the scientists didn't yet know about the effects of radiation on both organic and inorganic materials. There are lots of video available on YouTube showing the second Baker underwater shot, which did the most dramatic damage and essentially radiated the target (test) fleet. This book would have been an effective crash course for the lay audience on the effects of an atomic explosion. Some of his conclusions were significant, first that radiation is hard to get rid of, and once there you are stuck with it, in the case of the underwater test it demonstrated that in any real combat situation even an underwater proximate blast would render a large fleet inoperable, as it would have to be evacuated. Then there was the impacts on the local ecology, and not the least on the sailors and crewmembers, which this books demonstrates pretty clearly (and obviously) had no clue what they were getting into....there is a great section where he tries to explain to skeptical sailors how "invisible bullets" (radiation) can still strike your vital organs and kill you just like a gun....the 3rd scheduled test was cancelled. 

My little plug for the book, a great and important read 2c

Somebody should buy this or I will have to... lol

Just scrolling back through this thread and remembered I wanted to respond to this.

I have the original advertising poster for this book hanging in our hallway.Don't know how I talked the missus into that, but there she is :)

20230702_112230.thumb.jpg.9753040118fb412607d82050d87a2fce.jpg

NFS :)

All right Peeps, the last invoice just got sent out. 

A fun, if atypical thread for me, and I still have an untapped longbox of vintage PB's in the basement, I may do the whole thing again some
time in the fall. Thanks to all the buyers and watchers!

This thread is  

CLOSED