• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Overstreet sales date

5 posts in this topic

According to Amazon number 53 is released August 1st. At £26 I don't think I'll bother. I have numbers 4 to 50. Instead I intend to buy the facsimile edition of Number 1. Then I will see if I can bear to discover what bargains I could have bought in 1971 (not that I had any money in 1971...)  

On 7/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, Brock said:

Some sites are suggesting July 19.

Well, I believe this would be correct since this is the date that's been heavily promoted by all of the comic book related websites:  (thumbsu

https://gemstonepub.com/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-53-avengers-cover/

The real question that I have with respect to this upcoming edition is how is old slow Bob going to handle all of the price decreases that's taken place in the marketplace over the past year, with the sole exception being the GA marketplace which is still running on overdrive in most cases.  Especially since we all know how conservative Bob is and absolutely hates to drop prices in his guide.  All I can say is he most definitely picked the wrong year to put in all of those triple digit percentage gains in his guide last year because those Covid related crypto induced prices for the more recent books have pretty much all vanished, with some books now even selling for huge double digit percentage discounts to condition guide.  :facepalm:  :tonofbricks:

On 7/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, themagicrobot said:

I intend to buy the facsimile edition of Number 1. Then I will see if I can bear to discover what bargains I could have bought in 1971 (not that I had any money in 1971...)  

Better yet, you can use the first guide to check out what bargains or steals of a deal you can still buy today.  (thumbsu

Perfect example being Four Color 10 with the first Flash Gordon which was the 9th most valuable book in the first Overstreet Guide with a Good valuation of a whopping $85 back then. This red colored beauty (not this particular Church copy though) in Good condition was tied in 9th spot back then with about 10 other books such as Flash 1 and All-Star 3 and just behind Cap 1 at $90 and Batman 1 at a whopping $100:  :luhv:  :takeit:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Four Color #10 Flash Gordon - Mile High Pedigree (Dell, 1942) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Fast forward all the way to 2021 and the 51st edition of the Overstreet Guide and boy, you've got yourself a steal of a deal as the same Four Color 10 in Good condition will now cost you only $89.  If you waited until Covid hit and the collectors all locked down in their homes bidding away on books, you would have had to pay a whopping $93 (i.e. a jump in just one year that's equivlent to the previous 51 years combined :whatthe:) for a Good condition copy of Four Color 10.  :bigsmile:

Boy, talk about inflation here even though I don't believe this Four Color 10 is still the 9th most valuable book in the comic book marketplace.  lol

Edited by lou_fine