• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guy Gardener #1 Question
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 8:02 AM, -m said:

Agreed.
I’m not sure why this went low. Staton, 90s cover and #1 issue. I probably should have bid on it.
Hopefully it went to a GL fan and not end up for sale again in a month at $10k…

I think it will most likely be up for sale on a dealer’s site, but I think it will be priced at $12,000-$15,000.

It's not my money to spend but my rationale for Guy Gardner 1 cover finishing lower than the Green Lantern 195 cover is:

* it isn't from the main Green Lantern series

* even it it is a #1 cover, the series only ran 16 issues

* the cover doesn't play up the fact that Guy Gardner is a Green Lantern. If fact, if you look up the cover the only green you actually see is the DC logo and the "first issue" blurb.

https://www.comics.org/issue/51871/

* weird hairstyle

On 7/26/2023 at 8:48 PM, Carl Elvis said:

As others have suggested, Heritage, and if you can, wait until just before the movie comes out. Ride that marketing wave to the bank.

Here’s the best match I could find;

IMG_8136.thumb.jpeg.f49777a553b72e9d4ed038715790d900.jpeg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/joe-staton-and-bruce-patterson-green-lantern-195-cover-original-art-dc-1985-/a/7340-95503.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Yeah. I was gonna say $8k-$12k with the juice. That’s a nice cover. 

On 11/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Will_K said:

It's not my money to spend but my rationale for Guy Gardner 1 cover finishing lower than the Green Lantern 195 cover is:

* it isn't from the main Green Lantern series

* even it it is a #1 cover, the series only ran 16 issues

* the cover doesn't play up the fact that Guy Gardner is a Green Lantern. If fact, if you look up the cover the only green you actually see is the DC logo and the "first issue" blurb.

https://www.comics.org/issue/51871/

* weird hairstyle

Actually, the series ran 44 issues, a Zero issue and two annuals and has a strong cult following for the Beau Smith-written #0, 17-44 and two annuals half of the run. 

Edited by Michael Browning

Just to add my two cents into the mix…

1.  The GL 195 is not a good comp for the Guy Gardner #1 cover.  It is a significant issue whereby Guy Gardner is chosen as the Green Lantern of sector 2814 (Earth) by the Guardians, and it’s a role that Guy maintains for many issues.  Additionally, 195 is a Crisis crossover, which may not mean much to you personally, but it was one of the major mini-series/storylines of the 1980’s and still means something for some collectors.  

2.  If you look at other Staton GL results on HA, they are not strong at all and further to point #1 above, the 195 result is an outlier

3.  When I think of Joe Staton’s career, the first thing that comes to mind is his lengthy work on Scooby Doo, followed by his whimsically wonderful work on E-Man, and then his work on Green Lantern, Huntress, and finally his work on Guy Gardner

of course, your mileage may vary

On 11/21/2023 at 5:25 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just to add my two cents into the mix…

1.  The GL 195 is not a good comp for the Guy Gardner #1 cover.  It is a significant issue whereby Guy Gardner is chosen as the Green Lantern of sector 2814 (Earth) by the Guardians, and it’s a role that Guy maintains for many issues.  Additionally, 195 is a Crisis crossover, which may not mean much to you personally, but it was one of the major mini-series/storylines of the 1980’s and still means something for some collectors.  

2.  If you look at other Staton GL results on HA, they are not strong at all and further to point #1 above, the 195 result is an outlier

3.  When I think of Joe Staton’s career, the first thing that comes to mind is his lengthy work on Scooby Doo, followed by his whimsically wonderful work on E-Man, and then his work on Green Lantern, Huntress, and finally his work on Guy Gardner

of course, your mileage may vary

While I am a fan of his E-Man, Huntress and Green Lantern, I never could get into his Moe Howard-crossed-with-triangle-head-Sub-Mariner-looking Guy Gardner. It looked very silly and cartoony and I hated the cowboy boots DC had Guy wear in his new costume.

I did love the Beau Smith run. First and foremost, it was a lot of fun and the art is great. Then, it doesn’t hurt that Beau is a native West Virginian and lives not too far from me (I run into him frequently).

Edited by Michael Browning

I read and enjoyed the series even after the Parallax/GL cross-over when Guy switched to “Warrior” mode. 
I like the cover and it always struck me move as if Guy was surrounded by enemies and enjoying the pending smack down.
If I had not been distracted with other purchases, I would have bid. I’ll put that down as a learning experience…